Fox Forks help

mikeysickalrigh
mikeysickalrigh Posts: 246
edited October 2011 in MTB general
I have ordered a Canyon AM 6.0 which comes with Fox 32 TALAS Evolution RL forks.

I know that they are air sprung and RL stands for Rebound and lockout, but what does the evolution mean and how does it differ from the other TALAS.

Also what are the differences between the TALAS and Floats?

As you can see I have only ever had Rockshox!

Thanks!

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Evolution is the OEM range. No FIT cartridges or Kashima coats. Still great forks though. TALAS is the Travel Adjust System (there is some way of saying that which means it works for TALAS). TALAS lets you switch travel using an adjuster on the top of one of the legs. Floats tend to be slightly smoother travel, and lighter, but TALAS is still good, and has the travel changing benefits.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cheers!
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    TALAS is abit pointless in my (limited) experience with it, my own bike with floats on the front felt much smoother.

How many times are you actually goin to alter the ride height anyways when out on a ride? my floats are set to 150mm travel and ive never wished i could change the height of them yet, i just get with things as they are.
  • I am waiting on the Nerve 6.0 (http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2563)

I chose it over the XC 7 (http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2556)

I chose it for the extra travel and the 15QR on the front fork. But as you are both saying the float is smoother do you think that would be the better option compared to the XC? the XC's 120mm would be enough travel for the riding I do (xc, trail). The XC has slightly better drivetrain components and a "performance" RP2 compared to the AM evolution RP2.
  • benpinnick
    I think Talas is good if you want a fork that runs at the lower end of the travel for most of the time, but a bigger hitting fork for when you want to point it downhill (e.g. a 140/160), but having said that, I run a 150 Float, so I guess I am not a good case in point.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I should add that I have to wait 6-7 weeks for the AM and could have the XC next week
  • benpinnick
    Well, actually the XC has an F120, which is actually different than a standard Float (to confuse you). The F series is lighter than regular floats, but for that reason sacrifices some stiffness.

Its horse for courses really, I would definitely go for the AM, whereas you might not want to...

Either way, both are great forks, just different target audience. If I wanted a 120mm XC fork Id probably get an F120, if I wanted a 150mm all mountain fork, I'd get a float. I think you'll rarely if ever run the TALAS at less than 150mm, so its slightly pointless over a regular float. But hey, its still a good fork.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I think the AM is worth the wait!!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    iv'e used the talas on mine once just because it was there,not dropped it from 150 since,but to be fair,if you cant get up a hill with the gearing its got,i think a rope would be in order instead of the talas :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • chez_m356

How do you like your canyon Am. Apparently the spec is similar to last years
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    the bike's fantastic,tho id say its closer in spec to the 2012 AM 7 rather than the 6,this years 6 has the talas 150 FIT RL and full sram X9 drive train,i think the only thing the same on the two is the elixir 3 brakes,regardless of that the 2012 spec is still very good plus you get slightly wider bars and lock on grips,i don't think you'll be disappointed
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011