Changing Poploc to crown mounted lockout

getonyourbike
getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought these forks a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... T-2012.htm

They're great but I've managed to break the poploc remote lever as it got caught in my shorts. I didn't really want the remote lockout anyway so instead of getting another poploc remote I want to change the lockout to a crown mounted one and also be able to adjust the low speed compression damping too.

What parts do I need and how much hassle are they to fit? I'm going to do a lower leg service too soon so I can always do this job at the same time.

Cheers
Pete

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looked in the FAQs?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sorry, for some reason I didn't think of that. I'll duly scurry off to the FAQs :oops:
  • I've had a read of the one about Motion Control but it still doesn't help me with my issue of changing to crown mounted lockout: what parts do I need and how to fit them?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12686393

Or buy a whole new damper assembly.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    I've had a read of the one about Motion Control but it still doesn't help me with my issue of changing to crown mounted lockout: what parts do I need and how to fit them?

why not? that covers what you are asking.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Doesn't matter, I've found exactly what I need, all in here:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... l&hl=en_US
  • I think I'll do everything in one go. I'll do a lower leg service with new oil, lubricate the foam rings with Red Rum/Float fluid. Then I'll do the lockout conversion and while doing it will lob in new damping oil. They should be better than new :D
  • nicklouse
    which is just about exactly what is in the FAQs but without the part numbers as that depends on the year of fork.
  • Oh... I think I prefer having the normal adjuster instead of the remote one.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    ive just converted a pair of revelations, was really easy and using the existing remote dial is fine. took ten mins and now i have full compression adjustment and lock out. to buy the new non remote dial for my forks costs approx £45 and the only real difference is a small tab on the side of the lever, i can easily use the remote dial with no problems. when you go inside the fork, after removing the return spring from the damper assembly you can then remove the rivet easily by pulling on it with pliers.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • hmmm... I might just not bother with the new adjuster then.