My cycling has helped me do a decent half marathon!

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Due to an Achilles injury I have been putting in extra miles on my daily commute + Sats in order to prepare for the Stroud Half Marathon which was yesterday October 23rd. There is prob no real substitute for running a half marathon than running itself but as I get older (now a sprightly55) I am increasingly worried by the amount of running injuries that I pick up and so it seems sensible to run once or twice a week but up my weekly cycle mileage. So for the last 3 weeks I have done on average 100+ miles per week on the bike as well as 2 runs ( although when my Achilles was sore did not run for 2 weeks) on the road.... The result was I completed the Stroud Half in 1hr 38mins and 16 seconds and have felt my recovery rate much faster. The only gripe I have is at as usual not having the running miles in once I get over 10miles I struggled but I keep it together and keep to my rigid plan of 7.30 mins per mile...but all in all I enjoyed the run and will soon have a Kinesis Racelight TK in my collection to continue my cycling/running regime. So for all you cyclists/runners....the two disciplines go really well together and cycling will certainly enable me to keep running following a sensible training programme :D:D:D

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk