bike fitting

samiad001
samiad001 Posts: 6
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
hi

I'm in a bit of a quandary so after some advice. i'm 6'1" and ride a bike a 56cm bike. I think it's too small for me so causing me pretty bad knee pain.

My options are:

a) get clip-in pedals and pay for professional fitting (might end up paying for someone to tell me that i need a new bigger bike).

b) get new bike and pay for professional fitting (can't really afford new bike that's as nice as my current one).

What are people's thoughts?

Comments

• I wouldn't have thought a bike too small would give you bad knees if it set up properly. I suffered from a bad knee for a while, concentrated on tweaking the saddle position. Ended up putting the saddle up a tad and that has cured everything. Cleat position is very important as well. Little changes make a huge difference.

I commute on a bike that is too small, just give bit more of a saddle to bar drop. No bad knees to report.

I hope that helps.
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    Check out www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk

Cleats aren't needed for a fitting.

On the website he says "If your bike cannot be made to fit you, we will tell you at the outset (& we won’t charge you) "

if the bike will fit, I'm assuming that the seatpost, seat, stem and bars need to be ok before getting on to cleats.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    +1 for the Bike Whisperer, assuming you're near London. Failing that most LBS will be able to offer fitting advice or a service.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.