Fogged Glasses

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited December 2011 in Commuting general
Looking for tips or advice... On cold mornings I pull my buff up around my my mouth and nose, as a result of this it funnels my warm breath up onto my glasses that fogs them up. Eventually cycling breeze clears them but at stops they mist up again. This affects both my cheapo glasses and my £100 ones too.

Is the answer to leave the buff slightly lower and getting a cold nose or is there any product I can put on my lense or even some different glasses help?

J

Comments

• JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    A tip divers use is to rub spit on to the lenses as this helps to prevent fogging on masks, haven't tried it on my glasses but should work in theory. Alternatively give some 'Anti Fog' spray a go, there's plenty on ebay
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    lol... Spit :shock:

I was looking at the antifog stuff... does anyone use it, does it react with these modern fangled lenses and damage them?
  • I have a pair of photo-reactive cycling specs from Decathlon that swing upwards to clear mist. They are clear enough to wear in town at night and if they fog up at traffic lights then I just swing the lenses up a bit. I think they were about £20.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • Joffff
    Joffff Posts: 26
    jefflad wrote:
    lol... Spit :shock:

I was looking at the antifog stuff... does anyone use it, does it react with these modern fangled lenses and damage them?

I can't say for sure but in my paintballing days anti-fog spray was commonplace and (I would assume) some of the lenses on a paintball goggle system are as sensitive to chemicals as your modern fangled items.

As well as spit, a little bit of washing up liquid wiped into the lens sometimes did the trick.
  • I've been trying different ones

The best so far is Salclear.co.uk - I bought the general purpose stuff

Tried Oakley's stuff but it was very poor. Tried dishwashing liquid which is OK
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Spit was a trick I was taught as a youngster for my swimming goggles and it worked, to a degree.

As mentioned by someone else, the sprays are ok, but if you have any form of coatings on the glasses then don't use as they do impact any chemical covers that may be on them, most of the opticians I know ave always said learn to live with it, than use the sprays for normal spectacles.

One option, is to at the start of the ride or as you come to a junction and stop, is to slide your glasses down your nose slightly, that lest cold air in between the inside of them and your face and reduces amount / chance of the fogging itself
  • An old trick in pre 1970s was to wee on them (works better if you have alcohol the night before), try it
  • Same here - spit in swimming goggles always did the trick.
    Not had an issue with fogging MTB/commuting glasses (I use the same pair).
    Is the fogging not caused by a seal being formed between the face and the glasses, thus not allowing the inner glass to "breathe"?
    I assumed that was the case, as glasses I have used over the years have never been air tight - hence no issues.....
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Is the fogging not caused by a seal being formed between the face and the glasses, thus not allowing the inner glass to "breathe"?
    I assumed that was the case, as glasses I have used over the years have never been air tight - hence no issues.....

So why does a bathroom mirror fog up? :wink:

The problem is warm, moist air (e.g, air off your body, or exhaled breath) hitting a cold surface.

You ride along, the windchill cools down the glasses, but the air is moving around so it doesn't fog up.

You get to a traffic light so stop. You're breathing heavily and you're hot, so the warm, moist air around you hits the cold glasses and fogs them up.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Ahhh - so I was half right - but into quarters . Makes sense as there are no traffic lights on my way to work or back. In that case, my advice would be to never stop...........
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    "So why does a bathroom mirror fog up? "

A bit of shampoo/shower gell on the end of your finger, dab the mirror and wipe it clean.
    Say goodbye to your steamed up mirror woes.
    Graham.
  • Joffff
    Joffff Posts: 26
    Some great home economics advice that even Womans Own would be proud to print :P
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    A bit of washing up liquid on the inside helps a little. Happened to me once so I hooked my Rudy's onto my top and somewhere between Lymm and Altrincham, the buggers fell out. I bought a new pair and have been a lot more careful. I wash them when I get home and don't rinse the inside as much so there's still a little soap left. Dry them with the bag and it doesn't seem as bad although its no cure.
  • Read a pretty good advice from another user here a long time ago.

Very simple. As soon as you stop, move the glasses down towards to tip of your nose.

I sweat a lot. So spitting, weeing, spraying and all the other methods didn't work :) but this one does.
  • outsider78 wrote:
    Read a pretty good advice from another user here a long time ago.

Very simple. As soon as you stop, move the glasses down towards to tip of your nose.

I sweat a lot. So spitting, weeing, spraying and all the other methods didn't work :) but this one does.

Didn't work for me in fog. I rarely stop but still couldn't see. The spray does work and I sweat a lot too
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    MTFU and lose the buff
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem