Front Derailleur Problem - Can't Shift to the Big Ring :(

BigSoy
BigSoy Posts: 14
edited October 2011 in Workshop
Fettling noob / mechanical incompetent alert - but here goes anyway... (Give me something digital with buttons and knobs (ooh-ehh) and dials and I'll get it going no bother - grease, oil and spanners and I'm a tad out of my depth).

Anyway, after that plea for help / health warning on the thread... Went out for a ride yesterday, messed around a little to find a comfortable gear to ride out in and somehow seem to have got the front derailleur stuck on the small ring. I'm experiencing a serious lack of sur la plaque :(

I can still move the shift and the cage does move over the top of the two chainrings - but the chain itself won't move. Pics below showing what's going on - but any clues / help much appreciated!

Hardware is tiagra 9-speed on a Cannondale Caad8.

Cheers,

Chris

FDR over big chain ring:

6272954719_c711832b3b_z.jpg
FDR1 by CCSawyer, on Flickr

6272955971_6c4ed41f33_z.jpg
FDR4 by CCSawyer, on Flickr

FDR over small chain ring:

6272955145_e92a79a30b_z.jpg
FDR2 by CCSawyer, on Flickr

6273480536_a0cfdbe210_z.jpg
FDR3 by CCSawyer, on Flickr

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Well it's obvioulsy not moving far enough outwards to lift the chain :D

Could be that the outer limit screw needs unscewing a bit - and I mean a bit, turn it no more that 1/4 of a turn at a time.
  • And you may need to tighten the cable a bit as well.
  • canbakay
    canbakay Posts: 282
    most probably it the cables that need adjustment, if not your shifter may be broken - warranty will replace that within days, i had the same issue.
    Dogma
    Madone
    R3
    Point Reyes
    Raleigh Burner
    Boris
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    if its a limit screw issue then if you pull the cable and pedal at the same it wouldn't move into the big chainring at all. though it's unlikely to be this unless you've mucked about with limit screws

probably tension or shifters ;)
  • good article on how to adjust here http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

front mechs can be a nightmare to get right, but follow the guide and you can be happy with your new found skills