Recommendations for new 700c rear wheel?

zebra67
zebra67 Posts: 113
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
OH commutes about 120 miles week on his 4.5yo Giant SCR1, mostly on rural roads. Now has excessive brake wear on the rear rims.

Any suggestions for a good quality (=hard wearing) rear wheel he can just buy off the shelf, & then swap over casettes himself? Would be willing to spend over 100 quid, but obviously only if he has to.

Cheers.

ps: I can't find anything in the advice sections on BikeRadar about commuter rims/wheels? Please redirect me if there's advice to read.

Comments

• If the hub is still good, why not get someone to simply replace the rim, like-for-like? I'#ve got the Defy 1 (the successor to the SCR 1.0), which has CXP-22 rims, and they're available for ~£25. I would have thought that it would cost too much to get someone to swap the rim over. For remaining £75 you could even buy the tools to do the job yourself, if you are so inclined...

HTH,

_
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Try these from Como wheels from Quest
    http://www.questbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Wheels.html

at £85 plus postage.
    Thet got a good review in Cycling Plus. Not super light racing wheels but good for commuting. They are Pro-Lite Comos and Quest have just rebranded them.
    I racked up 3000 miles commuting in the last 6 months. They are still true and I've had no problems with them.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Underscore wrote:
    If the hub is still good, why not get someone to simply replace the rim, like-for-like? I'#ve got the Defy 1 (the successor to the SCR 1.0), which has CXP-22 rims, and they're available for ~£25. I would have thought that it would cost too much to get someone to swap the rim over. For remaining £75 you could even buy the tools to do the job yourself, if you are so inclined...

HTH,

_

Ditto, I had a CXP22 wheel built around the existing Ultegra hub in the summer.

I also had to have an XT hub replaced on a Mavic rim at the same time.

Bob
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    Look of horror crossed his face when I suggested new rims with current hub (hub is a lot newer than the rims, too, it turns out).
    I suppose he could buy his new wheel and get current one rebuilt with existing hub, and keep as an instant spare for our other 700c bikes (as if we needed more spare bike kit kicking around the garage). But both he & my 12yo do Cyclo-X, so a spare rear wheel not a ridiculous proposition.

M̶e̶n̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶g̶a̶d̶g̶e̶t̶s̶.̶.̶.̶
  • http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... b-wheelset

These always seem to crop up as a good value strong wheel.