SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
That is all.

[/i][/list]
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    R.I.P.

Such a great, entertaining rider :(
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    R.I.P.

I watched it live and thought straight away "This does not look good."
    Seeing his helmet bouncing away was unusual. Either not done up correctly or a snapped strap, I guess.

Anyway, R.I.P.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • terrible waste ! never really liked him til just recently , knew he was good but thought he was a bit of a knob , as i said my op had just changed & now he's gone. really sad day ! thoughts go out to family & loved 1s........ :cry:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    R.I.P.

I watched it live and thought straight away "This does not look good."
    Seeing his helmet bouncing away was unusual. Either not done up correctly or a snapped strap, I guess.

Anyway, R.I.P.
    Someone on another forum said it cracked off.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    RIP.
    Awful, sickening crash.
    Thoughts to the other two riders involved as well.
    Misguided Idealist
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Terrible shame and a great loss. Such an exciting rider and seemed like a real character.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - I will miss "Sideshow Bob" as he was affectionately known - always exciting and unpredictable. I really feel for the riders that hit him - Rossi in particular - being such a close mate of his. This is broadly the same thing that happened to the lad who was killed at Cadwell Park earlier this year - the coroner's verdict has only just come out on that incident. All very sad.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I don't really follow MotoGP that much - was Simoncelli the guy who put his foot out when going round bends?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    RIP. A mercurial talent.

@oscarbudgie maybe. Rossi does the leg sticking out thing quite a bit
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Gone off Moto GP a bit this year but I was genuinely shocked and sadened by this. RIP

This and Dan Wheldon's crash have both got me thinking, if I was a top flight racer and I was tragically killed, would I want the race to be stopped? Or for it to be resumed? Personally I'd like to be remembered by my peers getting back out there and having a great race, which they then dedicate to me.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    So sad and such a terrible shock !!

We get so used to high speed motorsport we think these guys are invincible .

Rossi was very close to Marco and will be devestated, I read a column by Steve Parish this morning in which he says Rossi may be unable to come to terms with it and may even retire !!!!!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I genuinely thought Marco was a World Champion in the making.

Sadly we'll never know.

RIP Marco.
  • veronese68
    He was easily the most exciting of the younger riders, if a little too wild at times. I don't like the way some of the others whine so much. Ironically in the last race he got his best result and stayed calm whilst others were falling all over the place.
    Some of my friends joked he could be my long lost son. I am also tall, Italian with big hair. Rossi's former manager has said he won't be retiring. I think Stavros was speculating. Be a shame if he did retire. I'd love to see him successful on a Ducati.
  • He put some zing back into it with his style & will be missed, RIP
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The whole 'leg out' thing is (apparently) because the rear brake on the Moto GP is virtually unused, so they throw their leg out to help shift their weight around.

Its not just Simoncelli and Rossi, quite a few do it.

This is coming from a bloke who's motorbiking history is that of riding a 50cc for about a year about 15 years ago and the most powerful bike I've ridden was the 125cc I did my CBT on a few months ago. If I'm wrong, just accept that I'm parroting what I was told by a semi-pro 600cc racer and know no better.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    The whole 'leg out' thing is (apparently) because the rear brake on the Moto GP is virtually unused, so they throw their leg out to help shift their weight around.

Yup - the weight transfer under braking is massive - they effectively stand it on their front wheels. The leg-dangling transfers the weight rearwards slightly allowing them to brake a little harder (and seems to act a little bit as an air brake). Watching those guys throw those bike around is stunning - backing them into the corners and living them through (I love Stoner's tyre marks through fast corners)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    What I found weird was that Simoncelli seemed to have dropped the bike, and yet it still carried on turning right, across the track, which, unfortunately carried him into the path of Edwards and Rossi!!

Something about the traction control?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • veronese68
    Probably that he tried to pick the bike up on his knee and elbow and the tyres gripped just enough to divert him back across the track.
    There was some footage a while back of Edwards doing similar in practice. He was on the floor, stuck his elbow into the track and it picked the bike up enough for the tyre to bite and he carried on.