A Nation Rejoices

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
To the nearest pub at lunchtime, to watch the Manc derby; elder boy [United fan] can’t make it due to his own footballing commitments, Boy Jr [City fan] is up for it, then doesn’t fancy it, then does, so joins me for the game and his glass of lemonade and the chance to learn some exciting new language in a rowdy pub. Go on son.

A joyous afternoon ensues, with the standard issue pub full of Dirty Red Scum fans expecting the usual routine victory over whoever’s been tossed into the theatre of dreams (c) this weekend for a beating, and it turns into a glorious stuffing. I loved it, esp the last 5 minutes, and so did Boy Jr who’s sat through enough late goal defeats and disappointments to last him his short lifetime. Me? On the chuffing ceiling when the 4th, 5th & 6th went in. And I’m a Leicester fan. Marvellous. All the way from seeing Leicester lose to Notts County in the Zenith Data Systems Northern Area Semi-Final many many years ago all the way through countless England battles where yet again they fall short of what’s needed, this was an absolute joy, watching the one team who I just love to see stuffed completely – and they were – against a team who from donkey’s years back I’ve had a soft spot for, from the days of Colin Bell, Peter Barnes, Fran Lee and a succession of utter failures in between then & now. Come on City. Today, I’m your biggest fan. Result!!!!!!!!!!!!. Yes.

Just me? :)

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'll have a little smirk on my face as I cycle to work past OT next week.

But to be honest, I'd have traded that for a 0-1 loss for them, if it meant my own team actually managed to win rather than draw.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Spurs fan and I don't dislike ManU and not a huge fan of City.

But that result has amused me no end :D:D:D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yes, it's great being able to buy the league

At least Man U make their own money.

It's a very sad indictment of our times.

I've fallen out of love with football big time.

(And before you ask, I'm a Bolton fan)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    A nation does rejoice, the All Blacks finally regained the cup.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I just can't wipe the smile off my face. But then again, I am a City fan. I'll still be smiling when I get to work tomorrow and see OT out of my window. I'll be smiling even more when I get to wind up a TV producer who's not shut up about how United are going to walk all over City last week.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • I come from Norwich and take enough interest to be pleased when they do well and be indifferent when they don't. (So at the moment I'm proud to tell anyone who will listen about how well they are doing!) I have had to join the work Fantasy Football league to generate something more than casual interest.

Being much more of a rugby fan I am relieved that NZ have won because now we can stop hearing about how long it has been since they last won it. As far as the French go I would be happy for them to perpetually try and yet fail to win the thing.

As for the Man U result that is just bizarre. A lot of sports news seems to be centred around red cards at the moment. Shame that.
  • What's the difference between David de Gea and a black cab driver?

......... the cabbie only lets 5 in :D
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Man U fan helpline. 0161616161
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'd 6-1 to be a United fan.

Hang on...
  • Agent57
    msmancunia wrote:
    see OT out of my window.

I have to endure that, too. =( (Well, to be honest, where I sit in Bridge House I can't actually see Old Toilet, 'cause Quay's in the way. Phew!)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Even the guy across from me gave a little cheer when the 6th went in, even though he lost out on hundreds on his accumulator..!

All I need is for my boys to 'hammer' West Ham tonight, and i'll be a very happy boy indeed!
  • msmancunia
    Agent57 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    see OT out of my window.

I have to endure that, too. =( (Well, to be honest, where I sit in Bridge House I can't actually see Old Toilet, 'cause Quay's in the way. Phew!)

That's hilarious - I'm in Bridge too! I sit on the other side, and look at the piazza.
  • What's the difference between David de Gea and a black cab driver?

Does he specify his ethnicity when he pulls up? :lol:
  • Agent57
    edited October 2011
    msmancunia wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    see OT out of my window.

That's hilarious - I'm in Bridge too! I sit on the other side, and look at the piazza.

I'm on floor 2. CBBC ftw. =) (In fact, Children's as a whole. #winning)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What's the difference between David de Gea and a black cab driver?

Does he specify his ethnicity when he pulls up? :lol:

Alright alright!

Let's keep the ribbing to one thread!!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    bad taste joke alert: you've been warned

I'd not seen man u fans get fu<ked like since Ian Huntley got put in prison for it

Told you
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Jesus
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Libya? Tunisia?
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Clever Pun wrote:

I'd not seen man u fans get fu<ked like since Ian Huntley got put in prison for it

Told you

Wow! :shock:
    .......................................................... and I'm a Liverpool fan!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Has the trawler started following the seagulls?

Prawn sandwich anyone?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • msmancunia
    Agent57 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    see OT out of my window.

I'm on floor 2. CBBC ftw. =) (In fact, Children's as a whole. #winning)

Ah I'm one up from you in Learning on 3. Say hello if you see a girl with a Trek roadie in the bike room :)
  • Agent57
    msmancunia wrote:
    Ah I'm one up from you in Learning on 3. Say hello if you see a girl with a Trek roadie in the bike room :)

I would, but I never go to the bike store. I just fold up my Brompton and stuff it in a cupboard on my floor. :D

I think I interviewed for Learning as well as Children's. Not entirely sure, but one of the guys who interviewed me is in Learning, so I assumed it was more likely to be Learning as I think they had fewer people move up from London (in the Web team, anyway).

Children's is cool though. I saw that Barney wossface the other day.
  • Clever Pun wrote:

Told you

Just bad taste!

As to work locations I've gone from overlooking OT (Chester House) to staring out of the window at the Velodrome & City stadium.

Blyth fan & would love a bit of premiership money. I cast envious eyes at Hyde Utd. City reserves play there, the ground is all City'd up (used to br red) & they're riding high in the league on the dosh. Good luck to em.
  • msmancunia
    Agent57 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

I would, but I never go to the bike store. I just fold up my Brompton and stuff it in a cupboard on my floor. :D

I think I interviewed for Learning as well as Children's. Not entirely sure, but one of the guys who interviewed me is in Learning, so I assumed it was more likely to be Learning as I think they had fewer people move up from London (in the Web team, anyway).

Children's is cool though. I saw that Barney wossface the other day.

I don't think I'd recognise him - I'm not up to speed on children's TV stars these days. I do keep getting in the lift (when it arrives) with Mr Tumble though, which impresses my niece no end! My boss rides a Brompton, (keeps it by his desk as he sits next to the window) and we've got another two being purchased in this period's cycle to work scheme. Have you seen that odd foldie locked up outside Quay House sometimes? Very tiny wheels!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Joelsim wrote:

At least Man U make their money
    :)
    Buy the league? Every Premier League winner has bought the league, from Blackburn onwards, up to & including United with their collections of exciting foreign players costing umpteen million each.

There's more to it than just buying players. Leicester have just sacked Sven for failing to deliver with a massively expensive squad. There's more to it than just throwing money at it.
  • Agent57
    msmancunia wrote:
    I do keep getting in the lift (when it arrives) with Mr Tumble though, which impresses my niece no end! My boss rides a Brompton, (keeps it by his desk as he sits next to the window) and we've got another two being purchased in this period's cycle to work scheme. Have you seen that odd foldie locked up outside Quay House sometimes? Very tiny wheels!

Those bloody lifts...

I needed my bike before I started work, so I didn't manage to buy it on C2W. I could use a single speed though, to add to my other 6 bikes...

That bike outside Quay is a Brompton, isn't it? I've not paid too much attention to it, but they do have tiny 16" wheels. Too small for my MonkeyLights to fit into. =(
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    CiB wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Buy the league? Every Premier League winner has bought the league, from Blackburn onwards, up to & including United with their collections of exciting foreign players costing umpteen million each.
    Some teams have got rich through being successful on the pitch and so becoming attractive commercial propositions. That’s obviously very different from taking a team that has achieved only limited recent success, having an oil sheik spend 100s of millions on a squad in the space of a couple of years and then winning things.

Not that I gave a toss about any of that when ManU were getting stuffed. :lol:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Godders1 wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Some teams have got rich through being successful on the pitch and so becoming attractive commercial propositions. That’s obviously very different from taking a team that has achieved only limited recent success, having an oil sheik spend 100s of millions on a squad in the space of a couple of years and then winning things.

Not that I gave a toss about any of that when ManU were getting stuffed. :lol:
    +1

And exactly why I'd like to see Arsenal win the league.