Cold lower back/bum :(

phal44
phal44 Posts: 240
edited October 2011 in MTB general
So I during the summer it isn't so much of a problem but as the weather gets colder I find myself with the same problem as the last few winters since I started riding again.

It starts off ok but after a while my back gets sweaty/wet and then cools down alot. Most of my rides around here involve riding up a hill and then coming back down so I get all hot sweaty on the way up where I'm travelling relatively slow with no breeze. I get to the top of the hills where the wind is higher and start to cool down and by the time I go back down the hills my back is cold and muscles are starting to seize up a bit :/

I've tried a few different baselayers (tnf and HH) but nothing really seems to keep me dry. If I wear more clothing I might stay warmer overall but I'll just get sweatier and probably still have a cold back :(

I don't really mind other parts getting sweaty/wet/cold but my back has been causing me issues recently and I think alot of it is related to this problem.

Suggestions? Does anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Wear one of those leotards that make you look like a Victorian strongman.

Or get some compression tops.

Or both.
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    By compression top what you do mean? Is that different to the rather tight Helly Hansen base layer thingy I also tried?

I've thought about the bib type short/tight things but not sure that's gonna be enough :(

Did think about the camelbak that sits around your waist though... My rucksack keeps my back nice and warm so I figure if the camelbak sits low enough it might help and itll carry stuff too
  • Same thing I reckon. It should have some sweat wicking material too.

Compression top should stretch to cover a bit of your arse as well. Wear the leotard thing over it. That's what the other lads who cycle with me do.

I just pull my top a bit over my arse. The overshorts seem to hold everything in place.