London route 21: cutting Peckham Rye out of the route

noisepolluter
noisepolluter Posts: 64
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm increasingly finding the crossroads and S-bend at the bottom of Peckham Rye to be a major hassle, and a focal point for weapons grade f*ckwittery.

Thing is, I do quite like the bit further south on route 21 that goes through the park up to Catford, so am reluctant to abandon the route entirely - though I've had a significantly more direct alternative route recommended on this forum that I do mean to check out.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering about turning right off Brockley Way along Ivydale Road, then along Kimberley Avenue and eventually crossing Ryle Lane further up where it's a lot quieter.

Does anyone else go through Peckham regularly?
Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute

Comments

• rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    Without knowing exactly what route you're doing before and after Peckham, it's kinda tricky to say what would be best for you. I'm never quite sure what people want when they mention quiet roads; you often substitute less traffic for faster vehicles trying to squeeze past you on narrower roads with a poorer road surface, speed bumps and cars parked on both sides.

I usually skirt around Peckham, but that requires hitting one or more of Lordship Lane, One-Tree hill, Denmark hill or Telegraph hill, and they all have heavier traffic and steeper slopes.

So saying, both Ivedale Rd and Kimberley Av are fine, although there's a double mini roundabout at the end of Ivedale and it's on a slope, so be cautious, and Evelina Rd is always busy, so you'll have to wait to get across it.
  • I've just been out and done a recce - outward journey was kirkdale. sydenham hill, lordship lane etc - and just as you say, there was heavy traffic and steep hills. So I won't be doing that again in a hurry.

Coming back I went along Ivydale/Kimberley Ave then the normal route, and it was pretty narrow with cars parked on both sides. Less traffic but passing was awkward.

I think I may just swot up on Cyclecraft and take it easy on Peckham Rye.

Thanks for the tips - I agree with you wholeheartedly on all points!
    Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
    Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute