Noisy Bike!

adrenalinemunki
adrenalinemunki Posts: 213
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Hi all,

The more technical stuff I do, the more I notice how noisy my HT is... every bump I can just hear the chain smacking of everything and it sounds like the bike is on its last legs despite being new.

Is this just a hard tail thing, or are there some things I can do? I have a neoprene chainstay protector but it hasn't made a massive difference... are there other gadgets I could buy to quiet it all down? Around Llandegla (I'm sure you all know what the track surface is like) it was a constant din of metal vs metal...

Any ideas?

Cheers :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    old inner tube on the chain stay.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Any ideas?

Sounds like a bike to me...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Velcro on the seatstay can quieten almost anything. Apart from an Orange 22X obviously, only riding in a vacuum could stop them sounding like a grenade going off in a cutlery drawer.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diddyfunk
    diddyfunk Posts: 252
    I had the same problem (despite using a neoprene chain stay cover).

I took a link out of my chain and all is now sweeeeet!

No chain slap and gearing still spot on.

Give it a whirl - if it doesnt work for you, just put the link back in.
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Incorrect chain length.
    Incorrect adjustment of the rear mech.
    Lost tension in gear cable / mech or faulty mech, weak mech spring.
    Worn chain.
    Everything adjusted fine but chain may still knock against the chainstay anyway.

and such things. Loads of bikes rattle like this, but key things are the right tension in the chain to stop it going slack, and using devices or protection to avoid it slapping against the chainstay.

Aside from chainstay protectors, you can if you want use a chain guide. Not for everyone though.

Also, take up some of the slack in the chain where possible by engaging the pedals a bit when coasting or otherwise pedal more.

If you're in the granny but not pedalling it may be slack. Get out of the granny except where needed.