RIP Marco Simoncelli

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Moto GP rider tragically killed today.

Bad week for Motorsport.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• That is bad news... a talanted young rider R.I.P
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    Such an exciting rider. Very odd crash. RIP
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • Very sad, not altogether surprising, he was always on the raggedy edge,RIP.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    A sad day in MotoGP, he was shining light in what is rapidly becoming dull racing.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Didn't see the crash but it sounds very remiiniscent of Chris Jones BSB crash a few years back.

R.I.P Marco
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Rest in peace Marco. Big big loss to MOTOGP.
  • pmcoops
    pmcoops Posts: 20
    an exciting rider to watch with a personallity to match.R.I.P MARCO.
    KEEP THE PEDALS TURNING
    specialized allez sport comp 2011
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Fantastic personality, fantastic talent. Extremely, extremely sad to lose anyone at that young age.

RIP Marco
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Gutted for the second week in a row. His battles with Bautista in the last couple of years were brilliant. Best hair in the paddock too.

RIP Marco
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Such a bad week for motorsport :(

MotoGP will really miss him

RIP Marco
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah sad news, looked pretty instant though thankfully. I hope it doesn't mess Rossi up either, they were good friends :(
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    I did not know him at all

but i am wounded about this news, my bro in law is ex bsb, wsb mechanic and knows various riders the rewards are huge and so the consequences
  • Very sad news - a tragic loss to the sport (have enjoyed Moto GP for many years)

I don't want anyone to read this the wrong way - but I can't help but wonder how loose a fit his helmet was to hold all that hair, and if it would have made any difference.

Sad times :cry:
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • R.I.P. Mr Simoncelli.

Terrible when someone so young dies. However, many like him have gone the same way before in motor sport. I believe it's the dicing with death which partially gives the participants the adrenalin rush they so desire.

Fortunately these days such incidents are far rarer than they once were, but occassionally the devil does take one.

Not meant as flippant remark and appologies in advance if I have caused any offence, I happen to believe this to be true though.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • johnr76
    johnr76 Posts: 56
    R.I.P. Mr Simoncelli.

Terrible when someone so young dies. However, many like him have gone the same way before in motor sport. I believe it's the dicing with death which partially gives the participants the adrenalin rush they so desire.

Fortunately these days such incidents are far rarer than they once were, but occassionally the devil does take one.

Not meant as flippant remark and appologies in advance if I have caused any offence, I happen to believe this to be true though.
    Not flippant in the slightest. As someone who's followed Moto GP for a while it's why a lot of riders do it - for the adrenalin they get from it and passion they have for it. Sic certainly seemed to have a passion for it!

Couldn't believe it when I saw and heard he died - he was quite possibly the future of Moto GP but crucially he seemed like a genuine, honest and just a nice guy.

Massive respect for all of the riders.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Spookily I didn't eve know he existed until I read an article about him in a motorbike magazine on the Saturday evening before the crash.

For some reason I felt somewhat unnerved by the news on the Sunday. I kept considering the odds of picking up that particular magazine, which was at least two months old, from a pile of about 20 that was due to be recycled and reading that particular article.

Bob
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I don't want anyone to read this the wrong way - but I can't help but wonder how loose a fit his helmet was to hold all that hair, and if it would have made any difference.

I read (albeit on wikipedia) a while a go that he had to have a size up to fit his hair in. It could have had an effect.
    Although this isn't the first accident I've heard of where the helmet has come off, and tbh I don't think it would have made any difference whatsoever.
    Tomizawa's helmet didn't come off and neither did Craig Jones' but the outcome was the same. Being hit on the head by a following rider usually has one outcome unfortunately :(
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I read that it wasn't his head injuries that killed him, but the injuries to his chest and internal organs.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I read that it wasn't his head injuries that killed him, but the injuries to his chest and internal organs.

That isn't surprising as he seem to be caught between Rossi's and Edward's bikes.

RIP.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    They're a breed apart, you look at the crashes that Guy Martin and Conor Cummins had at the TT last year and you wonder why they want to get back on a bike.
    These guys will break a collarbone get it plated and they're racing the week after, you're average sportsman would be out for 3 months.
  • Bozman wrote:
    These guys will break a collarbone get it plated and they're racing the week after, you're average sportsman would be out for 3 months.

Tell that to Bradley Wiggins.

PP.
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • I was never really a fan of Kevin Schwantz but I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head with this:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2011/Oct/111024-34-rip-sic.htm

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.