Knog lights quality

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Not impressed.

One didn't work straight out of the packet.

The replacement worked the first time I used it but now doesn't switch on unless I take it out of the silicon case and use my fingernail on the switch.

Another I got worked about 5 times and has now given up.

Needless to say I won't be wasting any more money on this brand, which is a shame.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oh that's a real shame mate. I've got six of them from three ranges and they are all utterly wonderful. I think you've just had the worst luck.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I've got 3 frogs and they've all been fine. They do run down batteries relatively quickly but otherwise haven't had a problem with them.

Which Knogs were they?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    2 Beetles and a Frog
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've had the same problem with a rear frog where it wouldn't switch on or off unless I took it out of the case and turned it on that way.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I had a Knog boomer for a few months, thought it was great until it started to have a life of its own flashing then not, would only go off with the batteries out. Really poor considering the price :(

Another not very impressed customer
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    Have to agree. I purchased a Skink and it looked as though someone had returned it - package was completely sealed up but the light itself was dirty.
    Got a replacement and the second was dung. Doesn't work in the rain for a start! Then one time in the really bad rain it refused to turn off, died and hasn't work since. Not good from a "quality" light.

Customer Services was a bit cheeky too.
    Just bought myself 2 RSP Astrum's and they are superb.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Got a Toad here as a backup. Doesn't like rain as it seems to play up and needs drying out. Also they don't fit o/s bars well - mine has a tendancy to ping off - bloody pain trying to catch it at 23 mph before it hits the deck. An dont try and put them on when wet - ping off straight away.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    3 frogs, 1 beetle and a boomer. All are great.
  • Tattie
    Tattie Posts: 1
    I have a front Knog light, not sure what type - its already been replaced once after a red backlights and then unable to switch off without taking out batteries. The replacement had exactly the same problem and I took it back to Evans (victoria - London) the place that had replaced it. There the two young men were completely patronising and just said the problem was that it needed new batteries and that's what the red lighting was and that it wasn't a design fault. They also said another person had come in with the same problem - they still said it wasn't a design fault.

My thought is
    1. if the red lighting (to be clear this is a white front light) is indicating battery replacement they should clearly indicate this on the box when you are buying it - in big letters (perhaps they did, bu the first time I took it back and got a replacement the guy in the bikeshop - again Evans - didn't know)
    2. they should ensure battery replacement is being indicated when the batteries are actually running down - on both occasions there was not even dimming of the light
    3.if the battery does need replaced it shouldn't be accompanied by the light not working - ie being unable to switch off (the first time round, before I took the batteries out) it kept going for 2 days before I got to the bike shop - ie not really a battery problem.

I like these lights but need to tighten up on design. The rear light works fine.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Tattie
    I bought a Knog Boomer as a present for someone and it did exactly the same from new.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."