I made this

ihazon303
ihazon303 Posts: 55
edited November 2011 in Your road bikes
(AKA: Not another CAAD9 thread)

No, but really, I built this up at the start of the summer. Some forum member might recognise their old parts!

Here it is in summer kit:
IMG_3001.jpg

Then changed into winter gear:
IMG_3007.jpg

And another, more arty shot:
IMG_3005.jpg

Frame: Cannondale CAAD9
Bars: FSA Wing Pro Compact
Stem: FSA OS-99
Headset: FSA Orbit CF

Groupset: SRAM Force
Cables: Jagwire
Chainset: FSA SL-K Light Compact (BB30)

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seat Post: FSA K-Force Light
Seat Post Clamp: Hope

Pedals: Shimano M770-XT
Bottom Bracket: FSA BB30

Wheels: Mavic Open Pro on Hope Pro3
Tyres: Michelin Pro3 Race for summer, Conti GP 4 Season for winter
Skewers: Hope

Cages: Specialized S-Works Carbon, with Lezyne Pressure Drive mount

Weight: Approx. 7.5 kg (suitcase scales)

Total cost £1600... ish... sourced from eBay, here and some shops.

Put everything together myself, except for cables and final setup and check over from LBS. Made my own BB30 press from parts for about £8 from Screwfix.

Comments

• kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    It's a very nice bike but for that money you could do much better I supose :P
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Shifters are set too high.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    nochekmate wrote:

Shifters are set perfectly, it's the bars that are tilted up. Perhaps he finds it more comfortable...
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Brother, i am likeing this!

you are rolling unorthodox like myself!

coolio!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Garry H wrote:
    nochekmate wrote:

Shifters are set perfectly, it's the bars that are tilted up. Perhaps he finds it more comfortable...

I think if the bars were rotated far enough to level the shifters, the bottom of the drops would be facing uphill... :roll:

Maybe more comfortable, but still detracts from the look.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Not bad. I've the same CAAD9 frame gathering dust in my garage. Tempted to build it up again one day. How do you find the Cruds on that frame?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Well... for those of you concerned about the position of the shifters - don't be. I moved them there and rotated the bar for a comfortable ride. If it displeases your aesthetic eye, then phooey.

kev77 - what's unorthodox? Red bar tape? Alu frame? This is such a sweet bike though, ridiculously light by comparison to my old Claud Butler.

Re: the crud guards, they were a bit of a pain to fit and don't really seem to match the shape of the wheels. Their curve seems much too shallow, so the tops were rubbing on the tyres. But I bent them and forced them into a new position and they don't rub any more. But I haven't tried them, recovering from a sprained foot atm.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Unorthodox: Red with the black, i was rolling with a Pink Fizik on a white black and blue frame. I like unmatching colour schemes
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    hopper1 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    nochekmate wrote:

I think if the bars were rotated far enough to level the shifters, the bottom of the drops would be facing uphill... :roll:

Maybe more comfortable, but still detracts from the look.

A bit of both, bars and levers. While I appreciate you know what is comfortable for you I can't see that the drops are usable with that setup, can you reach the brakes in the drops? Looks like you're set up for the hoods and that's it.

It" looks" like you're compensating for too much drop to bars or too long a stem by rotating everything back. I'd imagine you'd get a much more universally usable setup by using a shorter stem and/or one with more rise and rotating bars and levers back down. Just a suggestion, mind.
  • Sounds like decent advice really, though the drops are fine like this too. I can brake and change gear, but to be honest don't spend a lot of time riding on them where it's not just a case of putting the power down.

I had to guess with sizing for most parts, though based it on my old bike. Going to get a bike fit I think in the new year mainly because of foot pain, just preparing my bank balance for the number of parts that might need replacing...