High roller front or back

lastwords
lastwords Posts: 304
edited October 2011 in MTB general
I have two Maxxis tyres 2.1's an ignitor and a high roller, which way round would you fit them im thinking HR front and ignitor Rear.

Comments

• yeh, high roller front and ignitor rear
  • In the nicer weather I run a 2.35 high roller front and a 2.1 ignitor rear for less rolling resistance. Even if your high roller is a 2.1 it'll still be more grippy than the Ignitor and you want your grip up front
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd go Ignitor front, HR rear... But then I really don't like the 2.1 roller.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've had no end of pinch flats with a 2.1 high roller rear, and I wouldn't exactly trust it for grip either. 2.25 advantage is a great all round tyre.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Ignitor front, HR rear. Come to dislike HRs, they're not the nicest to corner on because they let go too quickly and I find I have more confidence in corners with ignitors, much nicer IMO.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    HR on the rear.

Ignitor is okay for zipping along fast dry singletrack and the HR providing solid grip, though I've only ridden 2.35 so don't know about thinner wheels.

Ignitors clog up in the mud though. I run a Minion F now on front for DHillish stuff and generally able to cut through sketchy and loose terrain and some mud. HR still on the back to anchor the rear and still allow it to roll.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    (fwiw, if it was a proper HR I'd say put it on the front but it isn't)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    thanks for the advise people, i was sure everyone would say HR front.

I was after a 2.35 but the shop only had 2.1 in stock may have to try both ways and see what i like.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I Run 2.1 High Rollers front and rear on the XC bike, nice fast rolling, good corner grip. Everyone I've spoken to says put a Ardent on the front with High Roller on the back.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    For alot of XC ardent,

but if you ride harder i go minion up front all the way, run high rollers at the rear as they have a habbit to produce fairly controlled slides which in the rear is great front its a bit rubbish :)
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    I have both 2.1 and 2.35 HR's. I love the 2.35 but hate the 2.1's!! Different shape and the 2.1's don't seem to have half the grip of its bigger brother. Just be aware they ARE different beasts. I ended up swapping the 2.1's for Nobby Nics on the HT and I'm much happier. The 2.35's on the FS have been amazing on everything I've thrown at them, from mud, rocks, north shore, tarmac to torrential rain :)
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    For alot of XC ardent,

but if you ride harder i go minion up front all the way, run high rollers at the rear as they have a habbit to produce fairly controlled slides which in the rear is great front its a bit rubbish :)

I have 2.35 supertacky minion up front and HR at the back. Masses of grip for West Yorkshire stone.

Very draggy on the roads though, feels like the tyres are made of blutak.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk