Anyone here from highlands scotland?

2»

Comments

• Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Just found this video, although its on a motorbike, the gradient doesn't look that bad, apart from the switchback bends that may be around the 20% mark and a few short sections of 20-25%......wouldn't need to push the bike surely unless i'm missing something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rubzQiWrS5g

The scenery surely looks awesome!

Whats the chance of snow and ice in the second week of November?
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I am not from there, but have gone through . If you just explore the roads round whitebridge you will be doing plenty of climbing on pleasant little roads, although none of them warrant a bumper sticker individually.
    whitebridge Dores whitebridge fort augustus and back, using alternative roads where available would be nice and fairly hard with tea stops at ft augustus and fores and dores 'beach' at least .

FILE0180.jpg
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Soni
    priory wrote:
    I am not from there, but have gone through . If you just explore the roads round whitebridge you will be doing plenty of climbing on pleasant little roads, although none of them warrant a bumper sticker individually.
    whitebridge Dores whitebridge fort augustus and back, using alternative roads where available would be nice and fairly hard with tea stops at ft augustus and fores and dores 'beach' at least .

FILE0180.jpg

Priory, that picture you have taken is from the same place we stay at each year!! I recognise it! Log cabins yeah? The bridge is old and can't be used anymore, warning signs at each side, river underneath, and a pub at the other side? A small hill behind the cabins with a cairn on the top? I walked up the hill last time we were up there, easy to do, but was surprised how long the heather/grass was!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Soni wrote:

Probably pretty slim on the West coast - wind and rain but not much chance of ice
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Soni wrote:
    Just found this video, although its on a motorbike, the gradient doesn't look that bad, apart from the switchback bends that may be around the 20% mark and a few short sections of 20-25%......wouldn't need to push the bike surely unless i'm missing something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rubzQiWrS5g

The scenery surely looks awesome!

Well I did the Bealach Mor at the beginning of September

http://www.handsonevents.co.uk/Events/Bealach/event_description_Mor.htm

and blew up on the hill. I started too fast, and died on the steepest bit, just below the hairpins. It was quite annoying to have all these people I had just overtaken further down go past me! I would suggest you pace yourself and keep something for the steep bit.

It has quite a reputation though, mainly for weather. Some of our club members wouldn't do it again. One member claims he came round a corner to a scene of devastation with about a dozen people literally blown off their bikes. Then a gust caught him and he went down as well. Thankfully there was very little wind this year- plenty of rain, but no wind.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    yes, I took the photo just as we passed through as it is an interesting survival of the georgian military bridges.
    You must be familiar with the climb from ft aug. to loch Tarff. I remember it well, though we were carrying some kit and were on a long trip at the time.
    There was a caravan at the beach at dores for tea etc., and the tea rooms above Torres waterfalls was nice.
    It is a very long drive away, but the climb up to the lecht is a killer. Tea at the top ski resort if open
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    The climb from Fort Augustus to Whitebridge is ok and as Mean Red said the climb from Drumnadrochit up the A833 is not that long but is pretty steep. If you have the time Sheildaig, Kishorn, Bealach na Ba, Applecross, Shieldaig is a classic day out.

From Whirebridge you have loads of choices to get to Inverness and back - lovely quiet roads - some with nice climbs

Another nice route that I did the other week is for you to take the car to Skiach Services just off the A9 near Alness and head towards Bonar Bridge - take the road to the right at Ardross and head towards Tain on the back roads (via Scotsburn). Stop in Tain for a cake and then head towards Bonar Bridge on the A 836 (cross over the Dornoch Firth and take the A949 for a longer alternative) then take the B9176 back to Skiach. Lovely route with some gerat views.

Have fun and enjoy the quiet roads.

-Spider-
  • crymble
    crymble Posts: 17
    I'm from Aviemore origianally (well more accurately Glenmore which is where the climb up Cairngorm starts.)

I would actually say if you are staying up near Loch Ness then the ride round the loch is plenty hill in itself and a decent length. There aren't any rides I would recommend over any others, just get out and go - pretty much any ride you do there is excellent as long as you miss out the A9 and the other big roads.

I see some talk of the 'Ba' but remember that the roads aint so good as you head west and what may seem like a short distance as the crow flies over the map often end up a lot lot further when you need to drive there.

Drop me an email if you have any other questions.

keithcrymble@hotmail.com
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Don't forget to take in the local culture =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pNf771GtKI
  • -spider-
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Brought a tear to my eye, that did.

-Spider-
  • Soni
    Smokin Joe wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

I was actually born in Perth and lived in Inverness until i was six then moved south with my parents.

Still have aunts, uncles, cousins just over the border at Jedburgh.

I have a very embarassing photo when i was around 5, long blonde hair, dressed in a kilt, look like a girl!! And no i ain't sharing.... :lol:
  • Soni
    Thanks to everybody who has contributed in this thread, some very interesting information regarding rides, i will be sitting down over the weekend and going over some of the routes, so i may have some more questions of you all if you don't mind!! :D
  • Soni
    OK Guys, i've made my mind up.

I'm going to definetely do the Bealach na Ba, the views on Google maps are just so breathtaking!!

I'll be staying in Whitebridge so need to drive over towards the Bealach na Ba and leave the car somewhere and then get the bike out and do the ride.

Where would you recommend i leave the car? Any of you guys left your car around the area?

Also, i've looked at google maps, however it looks like its just one road, up and over the Bealach na Ba, down the otherside, and then along the coast road, then you've got to come back the same way as you've just gone? Is there not a loop/circuit you can make? Doesn't seem to be any other roads coming back? :D
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Whitebridge is lovely, went to a superb BBQ at the ROC post there 20 years ago.

There's a huge climb from fort Augustus up towards Whitebridge.

Slochd Summit is great too and there's a cycle path at the top. Start at Tomatin. When you get to the top of the hill on the old road you meet the A9, but there's a good cycle path next to it that follows the old road to Carrbridge.

A really tough climb is again starting at Tomatin but this time follow the dead end road west up the valley, turn right just before the bridge over the river. A few miles further on the road branches off to the right and climbs steeply up and over the hill past a big wind farm. Truly stunning scenery.

But some of the best cycling in all of the UK is to be had not far from Whitebridge on the roads around Loch Ruthen, Loch Ashie and Loch Duntelchaig abover Inverness. They're make a great loop from Whitebridge.

We do a 10 mile TT from Aviemore to the top car park on Cairngorm - see if you can get under 40 mins! The last three miles climbs about 1000 feet and it's dam steep at a few bits.

Take warm clothes, we had a fair bit of snow the other week. And fill your water bottle with hot water to take the chill off.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • -spider-
    Soni wrote:

I'm going to definetely do the Bealach na Ba, the views on Google maps are just so breathtaking!!

I'll be staying in Whitebridge so need to drive over towards the Bealach na Ba and leave the car somewhere and then get the bike out and do the ride.

Where would you recommend i leave the car? Any of you guys left your car around the area?

Also, i've looked at google maps, however it looks like its just one road, up and over the Bealach na Ba, down the otherside, and then along the coast road, then you've got to come back the same way as you've just gone? Is there not a loop/circuit you can make? Doesn't seem to be any other roads coming back? :D

You can leave your car anywhere - probably even leave it unlocked. For the Ba where you want to start from is the main critria. Do you want to hit the climb early, late or in the middle? To hit the climb after a warm up start from Sheildaig and head t0wards Kishorn, after 6 or 7 miles turn right for the start of the climb Stop at the top for the brill views over Skye and if you're lucky, the outer isles. Stop at the bottom in Applecross from tea and cake, then follow the coast back to Sheildaig (this is a bit up and down too).

You could drive to Applecross but that might ruin the run as you would get an idea of the climb involved.

Have a great trip

-Spider-
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Soni wrote:

Park at Lochcarron, nice climb out to warm up on the way , also cracking road scenery wise.
  • Soni
    In Scotland now and did the ride the other morning from Whitebridge to Fort Augustus, only a short 19 miles ride, but a good climb up from Fort Augutus as one of the members above mentioned!!

Definetely going to do the Bealach na Ba, checked the weather and looks like the best day for it will be on Friday.

Planned out the route, will be starting in Shieldaig, riding to Tornapress, then up and over Bealach na Ba, down to Applecross, along the coast road to Cuaig, Kenmore, then back to Shieldaig.

I've checked out the views on Google Streetview and the views look awesome, I normally don't like giving in and stopping on hills, however with views like that, i'm sure to be stopping every few minutes to take a photo! :D

However, just found this article http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ne-done-it
    and one of the guys mentions 'Anyone attempting it on a road double (53/39) is bonkers, on drugs or has thunder thighs and excessive lung capacity. I reckon I'd have to stand on the pedals for a lot of it on an ordinary road triple system.'

The problem is, i also have a Double chainset, and i'm 16 stone!!! Do you guys reckon it is achievable? I managed that climb back from Fort Augustus alright, was alternating from sitting and standing, to use the different muscle groups, and reckon i could have gone on a lot more......
  • You'll be ok on a double, plenty people managed when I did the Bealach Beag the last couple of years. If you have to stop or walk a bit, well WTF you're on holiday. I got a triple specifically 'cos I knew I was doing the Bealach and I wanted to make sure I would manage without stopping or putting a foot down just as I had thirty years ago. I reckon I would manage on a double, I'm 47 (not 16 stone) 11 and Half stone but my knees and legs are a wee bit f***ed up from a couple of motorbike crashes. You will be in your lowest gear and you will be out of the saddle, probably for anything up to an hour to climb the hill, so try to mix it up a bit between sitting and standing. DON'T get cocky early on and think it's a doddle, pace yourself, the climb only really starts after about 2 3/4 miles when you turn a sharp right-hander into the Bealach. Then once you get over the lip half way up it gets steeper again after you turn another right hand bend, once you're up to the hairpins it's job done. Stay to the outside of the hairpins or you'll stop and fall over, I've seen plenty folk get caught out like that. It'll be cold at the top so don't hang around too long. On the descent there are a couple of really sharp bends early on, but then there are a couple of good straights where you can let gravity take over and have some fun. 50mph + :D . Give the Applecross Inn a try if you're not in a rush, it just won a pub of the year award. the rest of the run round the loop is constant up and down, there's as much climbing in the loop as there is on the Bealach :( . Even once Sheildaig comes back into sight, taunting you, it's still about eight miles and lots of hills to go. Allow yourself up to five hours cycling time, although you'll probably be inside that. Hope you get a good day, there is nowhere better if the weather is right, but keep it to yourself :wink:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Soni
    Thecrofter, Thanks for taking the time for a detailed reply mate, I will Definetely take my time and pace myself, sounds like the hill can be quite deceiving.....

I'm heading over to the Cairngorn mountains this morning and will be riding them this morning to prepare myself a little more for Friday :)
  • -spider-
    Soni wrote:
    In Scotland now and did the ride the other morning from Whitebridge to Fort Augustus, only a short 19 miles ride, but a good climb up from Fort Augutus as one of the members above mentioned!!

Definetely going to do the Bealach na Ba, checked the weather and looks like the best day for it will be on Friday.

Planned out the route, will be starting in Shieldaig, riding to Tornapress, then up and over Bealach na Ba, down to Applecross, along the coast road to Cuaig, Kenmore, then back to Shieldaig.

I've checked out the views on Google Streetview and the views look awesome, I normally don't like giving in and stopping on hills, however with views like that, i'm sure to be stopping every few minutes to take a photo! :D

However, just found this article http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ne-done-it
    and one of the guys mentions 'Anyone attempting it on a road double (53/39) is bonkers, on drugs or has thunder thighs and excessive lung capacity. I reckon I'd have to stand on the pedals for a lot of it on an ordinary road triple system.'

The problem is, i also have a Double chainset, and i'm 16 stone!!! Do you guys reckon it is achievable? I managed that climb back from Fort Augustus alright, was alternating from sitting and standing, to use the different muscle groups, and reckon i could have gone on a lot more......

The climb from Fort Augustus is piss-easy in comparison. The Bealach is one hell of a commitment - but worth it!

-Spider-
  • Soni
    Thanks for the recommendations guys, however i've decided since Wednesday whilst riding in the Cairngorn Mountains to wait until next summer to ride the Bealach na Ba.

Rode from Aviemore to the Ski Centre in the Cairngorns on Wednesday morning, parked in Aviemore High Street, and the conditions were fine, but a little cold, had cycling scarf on, overshoes, etc., however apart from being cold (1 degree above) it was an EASY ride all the way up and i clocked the highest gradient as being 17% on the Garmin.

However, as i went past the car park on the left had side of the hairpin bend, i rode through the no entry signs up the last section and all hell broke loose!!

There were workmen repairing the road and were standing behind their vehicles to block them from the wind, and looked at me like i was mad! I rode past them and the wind was incredible, it nearly blew the bike over, i had to unclip, and took this video of it, although it doesn't do it justice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8know-1x-Jk

I finished it, but had to stop twice on that section due to the wind, but if it wasn't for the wind, would have been a really easy and dissapointing climb.......
  • It's a big one way loop at the top - sounds like you went 'up' the 'down' road. The wind's a killer up Cairngorm, I've had the glasses blown into my ski goggles while up there - and been pointing straight downhill against the wind going nowhere as the wind was holding me up.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I once had to lie down and dig my ice axe in to avoid getting blown away by the wind at Cairngorm.

In the car park.

On a day when the weather station at the top recorded a gust of 144mph - but it clapped out before the height of the storm. 5 people died that weekend in the Cairngorms, 3 of them on a route very similar to ours - the only difference was that we set off later and so hadn't gone so far when the storm hit, and were able to turn back relatively easily.
    The route? Up into the coire off to the west of the ski centre, where there used to be a bothy. The 3 guys tried to make it to the bothy and couldn't find it, they died of hypothermia and exhaustion trying to make it back to the ski centre (where you could always find some sort of shelter). It's about 2 miles, gently downhill.
  • Soni
    crymble wrote:
    It's a big one way loop at the top - sounds like you went 'up' the 'down' road. The wind's a killer up Cairngorm, I've had the glasses blown into my ski goggles while up there - and been pointing straight downhill against the wind going nowhere as the wind was holding me up.

Oh i see, didn't realise it was a loop, i thought the road climb ended at that car park, hence why i went up the down road, however thinking about it, if the cars were coming down they must have got up there somehow!! :D
  • Soni
    bompington wrote:
    I once had to lie down and dig my ice axe in to avoid getting blown away by the wind at Cairngorm.

In the car park.

On a day when the weather station at the top recorded a gust of 144mph - but it clapped out before the height of the storm. 5 people died that weekend in the Cairngorms, 3 of them on a route very similar to ours - the only difference was that we set off later and so hadn't gone so far when the storm hit, and were able to turn back relatively easily.
    The route? Up into the coire off to the west of the ski centre, where there used to be a bothy. The 3 guys tried to make it to the bothy and couldn't find it, they died of hypothermia and exhaustion trying to make it back to the ski centre (where you could always find some sort of shelter). It's about 2 miles, gently downhill.

Man, that sounds bad, i've done some mountaineering in my time, did Skiddaw, Scarfell Pike (in January/snow) and also Ben Nevis, done two whilst up here this week as well (unnamed) between Fort Augustus and Whitebridge on the right hand side, went straight up and over the top, no tracks, then walked a few miles into the depths of the hills chasing the deer back :D Really enjoyed our week, don't want to go back home tomorrow.......born in Perth, lived in Inverness till i was 6, so have the blood for the outdoors, we want to move back up here within the next 5-10 years, noticed quite a few properties for sale between Whitebridge and the A9....