Essex noob says hi.

shade™
shade™ Posts: 21
edited October 2011 in MTB beginners
Just signed up. I couldnt see anywhere for introductions on here so I could be lining myself up for an instant fail :roll:

Anyway, in brief:

I live in Shoebury. Bought my first full sus a coupla months ago (Specialized Pitch Comp) and have been trying to find the free time to have fun on it since.

Have been to Danbury once, a bit of Hockley woods and Hadleigh now and then but I dont have regular riding buddies who live nearby. Best ride was the other week in Spain, I flew the Pitch out there and had a day out around El Chorro, guided. It was stunning and great fun.

Anyway, that'll do for now. Time to scan the threads for info on local rides etc
Specialized Pitch Comp

Comments

• mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    lo matey welcome to the forum :D
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hello :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Welcome!

There are definitely Essex riders about... check out this thread, and take a look at Essex Herts MTB
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • thanks guys. mucho appreciated!

Hoping to get out tomorrow actually....I have a rare weekday off. Nice to ride places when they are quiet :D
    Specialized Pitch Comp
  • Hello mate, nice to see another Essex rider.

I ride Danbury once or twice a week, enough stuff north of the Common to keep you interested and fill an hour and a half (bit longer if you sneak down to Paper Mill Lock for a cake...). I'd recommend checking out an OS map and then just going exploring. Its quite a small area, so not much chance of getting lost.

How was Hockley? Been meaning to try it out for a change as it isn't much further from where I live than Danbury.
  • Hockley is pretty much only XC. No worked up trails or berms like Danbury...although I've only been over there a handful of times anyway. Some wooded single track in places if you fancy exploring but like Danbury it isnt massive so you cant cover huge distances without repetition I suspect.

I need to get over to Epping forest. I'm kinda hoping that over 35s group still rides there. The website is low on activity and updates but that group sounds ideal for me atm.
    Specialized Pitch Comp
  • MTBKarl
    MTBKarl Posts: 45
    Hi Mate,

I used to live in shoebury so may be able to help.

For local riding its limited like you say. You do have a couple of options however.

Every Saturday morning from progress road a group called the muckers do a ride. This can vary in level and distance but it is usually a 2-3 hour ride taking in Hockley, Rayleigh, and Hadleigh. They are a really nice group of people and they are very welcoming. Just turn up for 9am at the recycle centre and go from there.

On a Tuesday night you also have the Grips ride. This leaves from grips bike shop at 7pm every Tuesday rain or shine. This is a faster group compared to the muckers and can be hard work but its well worth it. Once again they are a real nice group of people.

Also with regards to the MBRO35 they do still ride every weekend. They meet up at the car park by Chingford golf course. They split into two groups usually, once faster and one intermediate. There are some real nice trails but it gets pretty muddy come winter and can become a real slog. I can’t remember the time they set off at now but believe it is 9am. Check out http://www.mbro35.co.uk/. You can register on there and ask them the details.

Cheers

Karl
  • thanks Karl. The Muckers one sounds good for me, I've read that the Grips one is very fast and until I have an idea of how my riding compares I dont wanna get left behind....that wouldnt be fun.

according to the website the Mbro one is 11am which is a little more 'Friday night friendly' imo. That one also sounds good.....thanks for providing that link dude.

Looks like I've got plenty to keep me busy this year now then :D:D
    Specialized Pitch Comp
  • MTBKarl
    MTBKarl Posts: 45
    No problem.

The muckers ride is great as there are people at all levels plus its a good way to learn lots of the local trails. The grips ride is fast but you soon pick up your fitness riding with them. Also I think people get scared off by the tales, its not as bad as you would think.

The epping ride starts later than I remember. As you say Friday friendly and they almost always end up in the pub after the ride!

Karl
  • Sounds perfect then. Off to Danbury this afternoon for some mucking about while everyone's at work! Hope it's not rammed with kids on half term though...
    Specialized Pitch Comp