Can Fox 32 F120 FIT RL fork be converted to remote lockout?

dirgi007
dirgi007 Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I am about to buy a Canyon Nerve XC. It comes with a Fox 32 F120 FIT RL fork. I am very keen to have a remote lockout and know that this fork is sold separately in a remote version.

However, can the fork on the bike that I am buying, which is not remote, be converted into a remote one? If so, what is the kit called? I tried to find out on the web but have not found a conclusive answer.

Thanks,

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Contact Mojo: I believe they can convert, but you did need a whole new damper. Is very costly.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Waste of time. Lockout is not something you need to turn on and off very often. Just reach down and turn it when you need to. If you need to.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Waste of time. Lockout is not something you need to turn on and off very often. Just reach down and turn it when you need to. If you need to.

Cooldad, living in Bracknell you probably have a 5 minute ride at msot to get to a trail centre like Swinley Forest, but I have a 10 miles ride to get there. Much of that ride is on the road, and for that I want a remote lockout. So whether something is a "waste of time" vary much depends.

supersonic wrote:
    Contact Mojo: I believe they can convert, but you did need a whole new damper. Is very costly.

Supersonic, thanks for that. What or who is Mojo?

Thanks,
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Mojo is the uk distributer and main service agent for fox. I also agree that remote lockout is not strictly necessary . For what it will cost ( £200 at least) I would rather reach an extra 8 inches for the fork!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Takes a second to put it on if you want to ride on the road. Another second to turn it off. How long you have to ride on the road is immaterial really.
    Just lean forward.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dirgi007 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Cooldad, living in Bracknell you probably have a 5 minute ride at msot to get to a trail centre like Swinley Forest, but I have a 10 miles ride to get there. Much of that ride is on the road, and for that I want a remote lockout. So whether something is a "waste of time" vary much depends.

supersonic wrote:

Supersonic, thanks for that. What or who is Mojo?

Thanks,[/quote

I had a fork with remote lockout, and took the remote off as it got in the way, and the extra 1 second saved by reaching down and locking it out/unlocking it was not worth the extra space being taken up by a switch on the bars.

If you have narrow bars, under 700mm, and a decent size grip, you will not enjoy having the lockout as space issues. I recommend just switching it on off from the top of the fork legs, you'll save alot of cash as well.
  • Thanks to all who have replied to my initial request. I contacted Mojo, the supplier, who are telling me that there is no conversion kit for this particular fork. If I want remote lockout, they say, I need to sell the original fork and buy the remote version.

As the remote version costs GBP799 to buy, I will probably give this a miss and stick with the conventional one.

Thanks again to everyone.

Dirgi007
  • Keep an eye out on ebay for a damaged set of forks, they rarely come up but when they do you could always remove the neccesary parts (if theyre in good nick!)
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    FWIW I have a 16 mile ride to get to my normal trails (not that that's all that relevant), and have an F100 FIT RL Remote, and never tend to use it, would rather have a crown mounted lockout frankly, looks neater, although the Fox remote is the best to use, it looks rubbish!
  • rostyle
    rostyle Posts: 4
    Funny I joined this forum to ask the same question! I am also getting a Canyon Nerve XC

Remote lockout, or any lockout is not something I have ever had but was keen on it as the new forks have 120mm travel, my old bike a Klein attitude had only 70mm (showing my age now!)I thought the extra travel would be felt more uphill sapping what little energy I have left!

I think i will see how it goes, if it really bothers me I have seen some quite good homemade modifications on you tube so that is Plan B.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I have that exact fork and never use the lockout, on or off road.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike