TANGO TURBO with custom MXT WHEELS

timmyturbo
timmyturbo Posts: 617
edited June 2012 in Your road bikes
hi all , i bought a very dented gaint defy2 (2011) frame , £40 ebay . deda mag21 stem £20 ebay, itm amoured shot peened bars £20 ebay . and giant MXT 1993 wheels for £80 ebay . then a ford focus st orange paint job , with subtle purple flake top coat . ideas on final components would be gratefully received . :D

21102011227.jpg

21102011228.jpg

21102011229.jpg
Britannia waives the rules

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    timmyturbo wrote:
    ideas on final components would be gratefully received . :D

I would suggest some components which aren't orange....
  • black components were the idea , but i was wondering if people knew of rare/quirky components etc . cheers
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Thats mental!!!
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    You like to keep busy Timmy.

Where are the dents on the frame? And What does Ford Focus paint weigh?
  • frame ok - but full Tango'ed makeover is foul!
  • Black crankest+rear cog & orange chain. I take it you're going for a fixie, only a bike that ridiculous would be a fixie :lol:

I like it, good luck to any drivers claiming they didn't see you!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    That's the sort of bike that a chav would build if he didn't spend all his money on his Vauxhall Nova.
    More problems but still living....
  • Dunk_911
    Dunk_911 Posts: 239
    Dont listen to them mate, it looks insane! To be honest I think it would be best if you kept getting orange bits/ spraying bits orange and turn up on it for a club run. Hero!
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    that looks fab
    how did you mask up the rims....??
  • Love it, I'd say black seatpost and cables , but whatever you want - it's great
  • jim453 wrote:
    You like to keep busy Timmy.

Where are the dents on the frame? And What does Ford Focus paint weigh?

Hi Jim , there was a 10mm deep by 50mm wide on the underside of the downtube , the poor bugger who had the bike for only 30 miles and managed ride over a piece of wood with a nail in , which then jammed between the downtube and front tyre .

as to the paint 300ml was used , it was shot blasted first so i am guessing that it added 50-100g to the original giant paint job .
  • Black crankest+rear cog & orange chain. I take it you're going for a fixie, only a bike that ridiculous would be a fixie :lol:

I like it, good luck to any drivers claiming they didn't see you!

no its not going to be a fixie , i might put on an older durace chainset and get it anodized in orange with black chainrings .

i always find so interesting with builds like this as to how different people responses are from "i totally loath it"! to "i absolutely love it"!

it would be boring if we were all the same anyway .

cheers all and thanks for all your comments either way . follow up completed pics in 2 weeks to 6weeks depending on anodizing .

cheers TIM :D
  • gbr236 wrote:
    that looks fab
    how did you mask up the rims....??

very patiently , 5hours masking , 2 hours unmasking . cheers Tim
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I would avoid anodising - unlikely that you'll get a close enough match to the existing tango shade.
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    I would avoid anodising - unlikely that you'll get a close enough match to the existing tango shade.

i totally disagree . http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Aluminum.html
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    This would be what our club team bikes looked like if we, er, had club team bikes....
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Dunk_911
    Dunk_911 Posts: 239
    timmyturbo wrote:
    no its not going to be a fixie , i might put on an older durace chainset and get it anodized in orange with black chainrings .

cheers all and thanks for all your comments either way . follow up completed pics in 2 weeks to 6weeks depending on anodizing .

I would be really interested to know more about the anodising. Is it going to be hard/ soft anodising because believe it or not I was thinking of doing the same thing with a set of cranks!

Cant wait to see the final product. Get er done!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    timmyturbo wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:

I can't see anything on that page that is the exact same shade as your frame. Good luck though!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Black Rival
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    I want to see this finished
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dunk_911 wrote:
    timmyturbo wrote:

I would be really interested to know more about the anodising. Is it going to be hard/ soft anodising because believe it or not I was thinking of doing the same thing with a set of cranks!

these wonderfull chaps have done bike frame powder coating spraying metal polishing and loads for me:
    http://www.realitymotorworks.com/Contact/contact.htm

Nick (the owner) said that stripping then polishing , then anodizing , then a clear powder coat on top for a chainset would circa £65 . i consider that CHEAP .

cheers Tim
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    timmyturbo wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:

I can't see anything on that page that is the exact same shade as your frame. Good luck though!

hiya mate you can anodize in 100's of shades of any colour , like over 1000's of colours mate . cheers
  • timmyturbo wrote:
    Dunk_911 wrote:
    timmyturbo wrote:

these wonderfull chaps have done bike frame powder coating spraying metal polishing and loads for me:
    http://www.realitymotorworks.com/Contact/contact.htm

Nick (the owner) said that stripping then polishing , then anodizing , then a clear powder coat on top for a chainset would circa £65 . i consider that CHEAP .

cheers Tim

you went to griffs too?! quite a trip from northumberland eh?!
  • i used to live in bristol . I sprayed in the bike , but nick has helped me do 6 bikes , 2 cars , and 2 motorbikes in the past . i pop to Bristol quite a lot . but post is OK for smaller items . cheers
  • timmyturbo wrote:
    i used to live in bristol . I sprayed in the bike , but nick has helped me do 6 bikes , 2 cars , and 2 motorbikes in the past . i pop to Bristol quite a lot . but post is OK for smaller items . cheers

fair shout, nick is quite the man! maybe we'll see this Giant Defy ST around bristol then? :wink:
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Just black bits now IMO. Then it will look rude.

Don't over egg the orange. Coloured anodised parts are for MTBs and the 90s.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Looks mad - good mad though, those wheels work well with it - personally i'd go for black components, however if you matched the colours well a full-on tango would certainly be an interesting shout. Rare, but sometimes if you go past "oooh - too much" you end up somehow reaching "dunno why, but it's awesome" 8)
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    Were you taking inspiration from this?

1cheetara.jpg
  • CAT69
    CAT69 Posts: 376
    That has potential as i love orange bikes,respray the stem,black seatpost and seat
  • well over 2 months behind because of all my business , should be completed in 3 weeks now , had to change the forks as giant decided to make 1.1/4" to 1.1/8th" frame , what CRETINS . pictures soon. cheers TIM