Zen and the art of Tree Surgery

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Initial reaction this morning at eight, with the Sauvignon fumes still in my mouth, when the sodding b'start up the tree next door fired up his chainsaw was frankly unsuitable for a family friendly forum such.as this (TG1C link notwithstanding).

But then I got to thinking,;

"I could do that"
"I'd LOVE that job"

I mean, what's not to love? Climbing trees with powertools!

If you ignore considerations like tax brackets what would be your ideal profession?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Looking after elephants. Dunno why.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I had a similar thing this morning - some sort of hedge trimmer I think.

I work for the Beeb as a PA but what I'd really like to do is be the person who makes all those compilations at the end of the Olympics, with all the best bits and the music over the top.

Either that or a paramedic. Or own a really nice bicycle-friendly cafe somewhere on a nice route.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    I'd go for tree surgeon too. I've got a wood burner and a lovely Husqvarna chainsaw. Its great fun. I dont much like the idea of 'working' for a living though, I'm quite happy today, on over time, doing very little..... :wink:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • I would hand make wooden rocking horses. A bit random, but I think it would be a very chilled and satisfying way to make a living.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I'd love to be a tree surgeon but not so great on heights!

Instead, I want to run my own bike trail park in Ireland , so that I can wake up in a really wonderful place, get on my mtb & go for a blast round my own trail before opening up and letting others enjoy it too :)

The above will involve use of chainsaws, mini-diggers & all sorts of others boys toys at various points ;)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I used to be a tree surgeon before getting involved with computers - it is great in good weather like all outdoor jobs - not so much fun when its hissing down and the saw won't start
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Being a baker always appealed to me, but a gardener has its attractions.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    anything that isn't my current job.

Cabinet maker would do nicely
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    Adventure sports instructor
  • I'd open a savoury bakery with a wood burning stove (so near the tree surgeons amongst us!) to make breads and pizzas. Don't particularly want to have the shop aspect - would much prefer just to bake to order or for friends.

Or an events organiser with an unlimited budget so that you could go a little loopy with extravagant sideshows/food.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Indoor work with no heavy lifting - my ideal

Oh and statistically tree surgery is the second most dangerous job in the UK - that how I knacked my back
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730

Oh and statistically tree surgery is the second most dangerous job in the UK - that how I knacked my back

Bah, we're manly men are we not? What is the most dangerous then? /Googles/ Fishing and farming..... 'tis far far better to rule in hell than ever to serve in heaven...

Can you harvest kelp with a chainsaw? Sign me up!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Up until the age of 28 I wanted to join the RAF or the Army as an intelligence officer. Unfortutanly when I applied for the RAF I got through all the officer selections went to the further medical where they found my eyesight in my right eye was considered a borderline to being registered blind, of course by the time I had the issue sorted, (squint correction surgery) I was considered too old to apply again. :cry:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Jay dubbleU
    SimonAH wrote:

Bah, we're manly men are we not? What is the most dangerous then? /Googles/ Fishing and farming..... 'tis far far better to rule in hell than ever to serve in heaven...

Can you harvest kelp with a chainsaw? Sign me up!

Most dangerous is apparently diving on North Sea oil rigs
  • fetish/glamour photographer
    can't think of any down side
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)
  • It would have to be wildlife photographer. Getting paid to go to wonderful places and take pictures of wonderful things. Unfortunately I have no discernable talent for photography :(
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    fetish/glamour photographer
    can't think of any down side

You've not seen them before the airbrushing. Mate of mine used to do the retouching for jazz mags. Although it was great to take the mags home and show his mum what he was going with his art degree he said it was pretty grim overall.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I one of those sad gits who enjoys my job.

I work in care, though most of my lot are fairly able lot, fairly varied job, on Saturday i got to do my best 70's cop impression and shoulder a door though!

most of the time it's a more calm though.
  • glamour photographer

I done that as a living for 2 years!

Ideal job now, would love to be a forest ranger.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,680
    Never liked the idea of anything vaguely medicine related (eeew, sick people!!), BUT, my father had laser corrective eye surgery a while back, and got chatting to the surgeon. This guy used to fly in from interstate every second Sunday, as that was the only time he could book the operating rooms, work from 8am till 5pm, see about 25 - 30 patients on average in the day, then go home.

His fee, never mind the operating room cost, was $1400. (About a thousand pounds). That is not a misprint.

Work 26 days a year and earn over $900 grand? 650 thousand pounds?

That leaves 344 days a year to ride. I want that job...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS