RS Reba Compression adjustment help please

Ult
Ult Posts: 60
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have bitten the bullet following reccommendations from Supersonic and Cooldad on here and bought some Reba RL to replace my Fox F120.

First Rock Shox for me so have done the obvious (to me) and set the sag via the +ive chamber, replicated that pressure in the -ive and then adjusted rebound to how I like it. I am now struggling to understand exactly how the compression adjustment is done and the effect it should have despite reading Supersonic's guide.

For clarity the only adjustment I can see is the small allen key in the centre of the blue lever at the top of the right hand fork.

Am I missing something? An explanation for a complete berk would be appreciated.

PS Despite not adjusting for this, first impressions from tonights ride is that they are easily a match for my Fox and have not even fine tuned them yet.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the blue lever is it. the internal allen key is for the folldgate.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ult
    Thanks Nicklouse.

Excuse my ignorance though, your explanation and the guide written by supersonic suggests that the dial can be adjusted clockwise/ anticlockwise. Mine unfortunately comes supplied with a bar mounted lockout lever so I appear to only be able to lock out or not. I don't seem to have that progressive adjustment dial that you both describe.
  • 3Bears
    3Bears Posts: 65
    Reba RL - that's Rebound and Lockout, I guess you need the RLC for compression adjust.
  • Ult
    Did wonder that, but dial does clearly say compression on it and pretty sure that this fork has compression adjustment.

Don't think the way Rockshox name things are as clear as Fox are.

I will gladly be corrected on all this by anyone mind you id I am wrong.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What year fork do you have?
  • I was under the same impreassion as you about this when I first received my 2012 Reba RLTs with poloc but in reality, you can only adjust low speed compression when the forks are locked out. You can't adjust low speed compression when the forks aren't locked out
  • Ult
    They are the 2012 ones bought last week from Merlin.

Beginning to assume that with the basic poploc that came with it I simply have a lockout non lockout option as you cannot get the dial to stay at any point between the two extremes.

Is there a simple way to convert to a fork top adjustment. To be honest I did not notice that it was a poploc version when I ordered it and was a bit gutted when it arrived.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    buy a poploc adjust but that is still only a switch. or get the top mounted friction adjuster.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Reba RL has fixed floodgate for 2012 so you cannot adjust blow off force.

Basic poplocs are rubbish. So I'd upgrade to the Poploc adjust so you can alter the compression damping.

To get the crown adjust you need to take the damper out and modify the return spring and top cap, or replace the unit.
  • Ult
    Brilliant. Thank you all for your help.