Squealing/juddering discs

Aguila
Aguila Posts: 622
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I suspect this topic may have been done to death, if so I appologise in advance. I am primarily a roadie but got a boardman team hardtail to broaden my commuting horizons (i can ride to work along some very pretty bridleways) The bike is 2 months old and came with the expected abysmal halfords setup. I didn't touch the brakes as I've never worked with discs before (I do all my own work on the road bikes). After a while the front disc started squealing quite a bit and now judders a bit on anything other than mild braking. The rear is also squeaking a bit too now. All i have done is have both wheels off to fix punctures once and clean the chain etc. It is possible I got a bit of chain cleaner on the rear before I read that was bad, god knows what I've done to the front.

Dont get me wrong they still work fine, but the noise is annoying. The discs look fine, no marks. Are disc brakes really this diva-esque? They appear to be more tempremental than my 3 yr old daughter FFS!!

So... are the pads toast/contaminated and need replacement?? Is the spary on disc cleaner that claims to reduce disc squeal worth a go??? Or should I get down to a decent LBS (I'm quite near sherwood pines which seem to get a good rep for MTB service).

Any thoughts welcome.

Comments