Alpe d'Huez on the worst day of the Summer

ecrinslodge
ecrinslodge Posts: 45
edited November 2011 in Tour & expedition
Thought I would share this video with you made by my mate Dan from chalet ribot, of when my guests who managed to pick the only day in September when it pissed down with rain. It was so grim that it had even turned to snow at the top. Its not always like this!!!

http://youtu.be/pQnmOFplPiA [/url]

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    nicely edited video

reckon the climb would feel significantly easier in weather like that, the heat is what gave me the biggest problems. wouldnt like descending in those of conditions though!
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Yeah video was well done (but no more Hot Tub shots please :wink: )

Done Alpe D'Huez in blistering heat and a cool overcast morning, it was waaayyy easier on the cool morning :lol:

The rain must have spoiled the descent to some degree though :( Still enjoying the ride is what it is all about and you all looked to be having a good time.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    nicely edited video

reckon the climb would feel significantly easier in weather like that, the heat is what gave me the biggest problems. wouldnt like descending in those of conditions though!

Bang on there :wink:
    The fastest I've ridden the Alpe,is Just under the hour.It was a BITTER cold day,with a storming tailwind,in June (many years ago)
    So cold I didn't get a full sweat on.
    Coming back down was truely aweful.
    Shivering like mad at the bottom (with a cape & armwarmers for the descent)
    so many cols,so little time!
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Interesting film.

The voiceover at the beginning is over-egging it somewhat. You'd think they were riding up everest in January. As already stated, blazing sunshine is as unfavourable. Although, having descended in the cold and wet myself, it was not particularly enjoyable.

These guys are serious MAMIL's though. What the hell are all the Ferrari and hot tub shots about??
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    haha yeah, i didnt get the significance of the ferraris either!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Note to the Director, when I saw the Ferraris I was convinced those guys were going to be fully kitted out in Rapha and riding cervelos and colnagos. If this was a MAMIL advert you've got to make it a bit more consistent :wink: