best android app to record your commute times?

mrtuk
mrtuk Posts: 75
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
I'm trying to find a (preferably free) android app to allow me to record my commute times in a fairly accurate way. Main requirements are
- accurate
- average speed (would like it to also have average moving speed)
- elevation and speed graphs
- splits for each mile
- ablity to donwload data/make available online to a pc.
- not a battery eater.

I've tried the google 'my tracks' as thought it would be good, but not impressed as it's too buggy ... my std 15 ish mile journey has come back with a distance of between 9 and 17 miles ! Also the graphs don't work well on my phone and labels on graphs show km where i's clearly measuring miles.

Have also tried imapmyride which is a bit better I think, but no distinction between moving/non-moving time (and depending on lights this can make a difference)

Any others I should try?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use SportTracker on my Nokia (Symbian) but I know you can get it for Android as well, tried a few others and find ST the best.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I use endomondo on my Desire.

It has auto pause so the average speed is your moving speed.

It has a website that keeps logs of your rides.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sport tracker has better website data but doesn't auto-pause....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Thinking about it endomondo ticks all the points in the OP except that elevation and speed charts are only on the Website, not available in app.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    Have you looked at Strava. See the thread on Commuting Chat, be warned it does bring out your inner child.
    Does tick most of your boxes.
  • + 1 for Endomondo. Easy to use on my htc desire and excellent range of stats on the website. Even shows you how many burgers you've burnt off :D
  • I use my tracks records it all and up load to goggle maps if required
    Records at various intervals time or distance

http://mytracks.appspot.com/
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Endomondo is great for recording data but I'm also trying out Cardio Trainer. I wanted an app that would let me race against myself and tell me how far ahead/behind I was against a previous workout. Endomondo does do this but uses an average speed type calculation which isn't much use (see my thread in the road beginners section) The Racing for Cardio Trainer bolt on works better for this functionality but the website stats aren't great so I export the workout as a gpx file and then upload this to Endomondo to view the figures etc

Sounds like a faff but it's pretty quick to do and I get the best of both worlds
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • mrtuk
    mrtuk Posts: 75
    TomTheFish wrote:
    + 1 for Endomondo. Easy to use on my htc desire and excellent range of stats on the website. Even shows you how many burgers you've burnt off :D
    OK, so gave endomondo a go this morning. Looks more accurate that mytracks to me, and the web page has some nice features, so on a par with imapmyride. Not sure if it had a 'total time' option (i.e. including stops) - I did set the option to stop pause when stopped so i take out the traffic light effects a bit (and got stopped lots today). Will stick with it for a couple of weeks and see.

says i've not burned any burgers yet though ... grrr.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    Cardiotrainer.

The free version has everything you need. You can sync with an online service, which is anonymous if - you get a code in the app and can then download your tracks as gpx files to browse offline. It has all sorts of settings such as autostart/pause and can even play a music list but I turn that off. The pro version allows you to compete with yourself and has some training aids.
  • I have tried Runkeeper and Map My Ride.
    I use runkeeper as the map my ride web site was very hard to use.
    turn off your wireless and you will get about 4 hours of tracking (on an htc desire anyway).
    You can download the raw GPS files from their site.
    See http://www.top-beer.co.uk/post/2010/09/ ... Phone.aspx

Stuart
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I use Sportypal and find it very sllick, really good app. Does all that you want and as stated by others isn't too battery hungry if you turn everything off except GPS. I did use Endomondo for a bit but much prefer Sportypal. Auto pause is an option you can turn on or off and takes about 5 seconds to register either way. Worth a try I would say to anyone. :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Garmin Fit. Installed it earlier tonight and not had chance to use it yet, at 69p it was worth a shot. If you buy it and don't like it you can get a refund if done within 15 mins on android Market.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/g ... -app-32149
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • R+P+K
    R+P+K Posts: 49
    I use Endomondo because it has the web interface which syncs automatically with the app and it's dead simple to use.

Endomondo is cross-platform so if you change to a different platform, you can keep using it.