Bib shorts

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Right, I need to replace a pair of bib shorts.

This morning a pair of my trusty Altura Pro-gel shorts turned on me and attempted to saw my leg off at the groin.

I need some new shorts. I love my ShuttVRs and I popped into Condor and tried some lovely bibs my a New Zealand company whose name escapes me but at £110 in the sale I couldn't justify it.

So I'm looking for some nice shorts, but more Torm than Rapha if you catch my drift?

Any ideas?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I think Felt do some really good bib shorts...

In all seriousness though I find Nalini bibs to be very comfortable and not "that" expensive. Think Wiggle have a bib shorts sale at the moment.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    yet to find a reason to look behind DHB stuff tbh
  • asprilla
    willy b wrote:
    In all seriousness though I find Nalini bibs to be very comfortable and not "that" expensive. Think Wiggle have a bib shorts sale at the moment.

My club shorts are Nailini and they are good. I think mine are a little too big though and that's probably put me off them through no fault of theirs.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Team Wiggle bib shorts are a better buy than the standard dhb shorts because they are made of better fabric and have a better chamois plus they are a couple of quid cheaper. I guess that's the pay-off for advertising Wiggle as you ride round. I can't see the point of buying anything else.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • No idea how good they are, but Evans have some decent looking Scott ones in the sale.

My basic DHB ones are a fantastic fit, but far too thin a fabric for this weather and the pad is rather thin. Think they have their better quality ones with 25% off at the moment, though, which get good reviews. You can also get a further 3.5% off any Wiggle purchases if you sign up to topcashback.com (if you do I can get a fiver if I recommend them to you, but no biggy if you don't).
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Gore Bikewear Ozon are about 60 quid on sale and are great

Endura FS260 pro are good except for the pad, which is too thick and doesn't wick - avoid
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I like these:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?imgID=5653

Still lots of sizes left (despite it saying "limited availability").
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Asprilla wrote:
    ... I need to replace a pair of bib shorts...

I love my ShuttVRs...

Any ideas?

Um. I have an idea: How about -

http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdeta ... ib-Shorts/

(Or am I missing something?)
  • Gore +1 - I have these, but you'll need to put summat over them for the winter:

http://www.alpinebikes.com/shop/gore-bi ... um=organic

(or they probably do a warmer version - or longs)

DHB +1 also: I have the Poubaix bib longs w/pad, which are great too.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    willy b wrote:
    I think Felt do some really good bib shorts...

Yeah, I love mine. Go really well with my Scott :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • asprilla
    Harry182 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    ... I need to replace a pair of bib shorts...

I love my ShuttVRs...

Any ideas?

Um. I have an idea: How about -

http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdeta ... ib-Shorts/

(Or am I missing something?)

No, but apparently I have. I thought those were the padless ones.

Cheers.
    Gore +1 - I have these, but you'll need to put summat over them for the winter:

Ah, I've got 5 pairs of padded roubaix bib tights, so no issues with needing to put anything over them.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Asprilla - you have PM.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Quite like my Giordana ones. Probikekit had a good deal on Craft top / shorts the other day, £60 all in I think.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    pbk have a load of castelli on the cheap at the moment
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Decathlon do a range of cheap, good stuff.

Another bonus is sizing, they come with a better fit with room for thighs than a lot of the other stuff i have tried .

I use the grade 5 bib shorts for club runs and i am comfortable.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/breathable-f ... 16_16.html
    FCN 3/5/9
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    got hold of some de soto 400 mile shorts. v comfortable indeed. bit pricey though.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    No idea how good they are, but Evans have some decent looking Scott ones in the sale.

My basic DHB ones are a fantastic fit, but far too thin a fabric for this weather and the pad is rather thin. Think they have their better quality ones with 25% off at the moment, though, which get good reviews. You can also get a further 3.5% off any Wiggle purchases if you sign up to topcashback.com (if you do I can get a fiver if I recommend them to you, but no biggy if you don't).

And sign up for their newsletter (use another email address :wink: ) and you get £5 off as well. I've several email addresses registered with them :lol:
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    doyler78 wrote:
    No idea how good they are, but Evans have some decent looking Scott ones in the sale.

And sign up for their newsletter (use another email address if you already have :wink: ) and you get £5 off as well. I've several email addresses registered with them :lol: