Tacx Galaxia rollers

Omar Little
Omar Little Posts: 2,010
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Has anyone tried the tacx galaxia rollers?

They seem to be the tacx version of the elite e-motion rollers, but significantly cheaper...however i think they are relatively new so cant find any reviews of them out there, so does anyone have any experience?

Comments

• just saw a video on youtube:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxFZnnKGz7Y

looks like it has same amount of movement as the e-motion
    but i would like to see someone sprinting on it...
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I think they've copied a bit form e-motion rollers
    Another e-motion roller vid.

I've got e-motion rollers and imo they're dead easy to ride on.
  • i have e-motion rollers since 2006
    problem is they are not collapsible - difficult to be stored and difficult to transport
    but they are very well built, sturdy and have a magnetic resistance flywheel
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    LOGBOXUSA wrote:
    i have e-motion rollers since 2006
    problem is they are not collapsible - difficult to be stored and difficult to transport
    but they are very well built, sturdy and have a magnetic resistance flywheel

Yes, but you must have known that before you bought them, so in reality, it shouldn't
    be regarded as a problem for you. Store them in your shed/garage, under your bed,
    or behind the settee. For transportation, just buy another cheap set of rollers. :wink:
  • Brynd
    Brynd Posts: 39
    I brought one last week and had two one hour workouts on it so far learning how to use it. Never been on rollers before and it took us about 5 minutes to learn to balance on them and ride with confidence. At first I found I was tense and over correcting but as soon as I tried to relax and loosen grip on the handle bars it became very easy and just like riding on the road. After two hours practice I can ride no handed and ride out of the saddle. You just need to keep your movements slow when changing positions on the bike.

They do differ slightly to e-motion rollers to how they work. On the e-motion the back and forth motion is controlled by return springs/rubbers, on the Tacx Galaxia the rocking feet work in the same manner as a rocking chair or rocking horse and uses gravity as the return means. As the rollers move forward or back the rocking feet push the roller frame upwards a very small amount and your weight pushes them back down and rocks the feet back to their centre position. Tacx claim this gives their rollers a more natural road going feel.

The downside compared to e-motion rollers is there is no additional resistance unit so you can’t simulate steep hill climbing. I guess using a high gear and lower tyre pressure will suit most needs.
  • This is encouraging! I got mine yesterday and tried for 5 minutes this morning. It did not go well. It is like riding on an icy frozen pond. Hopefully I will improve.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Just bumping this up - any update from anyone that has a set - anyone can compare them to standard rollers ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I recently bought a set of these for winter training (zone 2 tedium mainly) and am slowly getting used to them. Never used rollers before and nearly gave up with these as I found it hard to get the confidence to let go of the step ladder I put beside them.
    However, I persevered and got my two hands on the bars but cannot yet ride no handed, or even one handed to get a drink but that is my total lack of balance showing.
    I will continue to use them, but much prefer riding outside when I can.
    Best price I found was with Rosebikes
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Giant VT 2
    Cube Aerial
  • Are the Galaxia worth the extra over the Antares?