Tyre for Turbo

Dirk1978
Dirk1978 Posts: 148
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Am I ok using a normal tyre when using my turbo training or do I need to get a 'training' tyre? If yes, can anyone recommend a good 'training' tyre.

Also what is the difference?

Cheers

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I use old tyres and haven't had a problem to date, then again I use Kryllions they are pretty much indestructable and get my vote for a great training tyre in all conditions. It does depend a bit on usage, Turbo specific tyres can cope better with the higher temps generated and are also designed to be quieter. I will be spending quite a bit of time on the turbo over the next few months (can't go out until mid-late December) so I shall see how the Kryllions cope with the more sustained abuse of repeated Sufferfests.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I use the orange Continental trainer tyre and am happy with it. Never used a regular tyre on my trainer but many do with no complaints.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Do you get 650c trainer tyres?
  • I use a Tacx trainer tyre - harder compound and square profile for better even contact area with the roller - there are horror stories of turbo trainer tyre getting overheated and exploding which would bring tears to your eyes! - poor adjustment i think
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Turbo tyres will last longer than normal tyres = but factor in the cost of having bought the tyre in the first place vs the shorter lifespan of the normal tyre - and there may not be much in it.

Turbo tyres are also meant to be quieter. Not quite sure how.

Personally I just use my winter bike for turbo and its got sturdier cheaper tyres on. Its fine like that.

Dont forget you cant use a turbo tyre on the road.
  • I have done nearly 1000 miles on my turbo this year using my road vittoria rubino pro tyres and i can see it has significantly worn. i am considering getting a cheap wheel with a trainer specific tyre put on and swap wheel over for road/trainer use.

On a slightly side-note, last week i had a fast puncture on rear wheel and have only done turbo miles for last month, couldnt find any sign of nail, glass, uncovered spokes etc. Absolutely bizzare how this could have happened.
    no pain... sounds good to me
  • Dont forget you cant use a turbo tyre on the road.

Not in my experience. I did so without problems until I was lucky enough to be able to have some many bikes one could become a dedicated 'turbo bike'...
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd heard that turbo tyres were very slippy on the road ? You live and learn eh ?
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Turbo tyres have a harder rubber compound than road tyres to dissipate heat

If you use a normal tyre it will over time delaminate due to not being able to cope with the high temperature caused by the roller and will eventually let go

I used to use a continental specific tyre ( home trainer ) and had no probs

Cheers
  • Dirk1978
    Dirk1978 Posts: 148
    Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of Continental Ultra that came with my bike that I hardly used, may give them a spin, until I get round to investing in a spare rear wheel and training tyre.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Dont forget you cant use a turbo tyre on the road.

Not in my experience. I did so without problems until I was lucky enough to be able to have some many bikes one could become a dedicated 'turbo bike'...

I think the other post was saying you can't use those turbo-specific tyres on the road (like the orange Conti ones). Nothing to do with how many bikes you have.

Depending on how often you use the turbo, you probably shouldn't use the same tyres on the turbo as on the road as the turbo wears the tyre out, squares it off and you'll be more prone to slipping and flats on the road - especially the more it wears down.

I bought a cheap rear wheel from Decathlon for about £30. Then popped an old cassette on it and an old track tyre. It's lasted quite some time. Easy to swap the wheel when I need to do turbo work.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I've got a spare Aksium rear with a cheap tyre on it - have used Pro Race 3's on occasions on the turbo, but to be honest, only ever use the turbo if injured (i.e. post op). 1 session was enough to get back on the road. :P
  • I used to use the 26"x1.75" Conti MTB one, but have just got a Vittoria 700x23 for the road bike, which is now off road for the winter. It is quite square profiled, but I managed to put it on with just the hands- something that was impossible with the MTB Conti.
    I figure that some lengthy winter sessions indoors on the drops and tri-bars should get me used to the more prone position once spring hits...
    22.50 from Wiggle at the moment, try EXT10-SPECIALS in the promo code bit and you'll probably get another 10% off, then go for free delivery.... 8)