Turbospoke - must have commuting accessory

phy2sll2
phy2sll2 Posts: 680
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
You loved the AirZound, now check this out!

http://www.turbospoke.com/Default.aspx

I'm considering buying a load and handing them out to people who are too cool for lights.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:

ha, yes. a mate had one. rubbish to ride but cool for a nipper
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • c533622641c267ce559045715750ca8fd33cb687.jpg
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I was about to post this too. Thinking of getting one to both look cool at the lights and also to stop fekking pedestrians leaping out in front of me. I wonder if they do a carbon can version for race bikes?

Mind you, how funny would it be to do CS8 with one of these, scalping all and sundry. Might have to go and check prices...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • phy2sll2
    Turbospoke paceline down the embankment, perhaps?
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    JonGinge wrote:

There's one on Fleabay now, ends in an hour, you know you want it.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • phy2sll2
    Not sure it works with bladed spokes or disc wheels though...

...and for that reason, I'm out. :D
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Actually, with a set of poncy low-spoke count wheels you'll get a really low frequency compared to the frenetic howling from 32 spoke wheels!

With a four bladed arrowspoke you'd zip through the peleton sounding like your engine was just ticking over, scalp with complete nonchalance :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    We had the ghetto version of this when I was a kid -- baseball cards + clothes pins = magic. For extra horsepower (read "noise") some of the more progressive kids tied balloons to theirs seatstays.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    SimonAH wrote:
    Actually, with a set of poncy low-spoke count wheels you'll get a really low frequency compared to the frenetic howling from 32 spoke wheels!

With a four bladed arrowspoke you'd zip through the peloton sounding like your engine was just ticking over, scalp with complete nonchalance :D

a bit like a 4-stroke versus a 2-stroke engine!
    FCN = 4
  • seataltea wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

There's one on Fleabay now, ends in an hour, you know you want it.

£44 with eight mins left. Collect from Matlock though which is the arse end of nowhere.

I suspect if it was collection from N16, it would go for £150 and get ridden round Dalston by some hateful Nathan Barley type.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    phy2sll2 wrote:

I'm considering buying a load and handing them out to people who are too cool for lights.

Never seen anything so pointless... Let me get this straight, it's a lump of metal that you bolt onto your bike (added excess weight) to make it sound (but not look) like a motorbike... If I wanted a motorbike I'd get one!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • se-po
    se-po Posts: 47
    phy2sll2 wrote:

You can get the same result fixing a postcard on the fork, touching the sprockets.
    It could be useful when riding Central, pedestrians never watch!
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Not sure it works with bladed spokes or disc wheels though...

...and for that reason, I'm out. :D

Simple, grab one of these

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/xmas-2008-kids-bicycle-motorcycle-sound-gadget.htm

I used to have one of these things on my bike when I was a nipper!!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 wrote:

Never seen anything so pointless... Let me get this straight, it's a lump of metal that you bolt onto your bike (added excess weight) to make it sound (but not look) like a motorbike... If I wanted a motorbike I'd get one!

Yeah, I should point out I was being sarcastic. I don't even like having bottle cages on my bike - feels like it spoils the lines!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Not liable to do your spokes much good ?

And yes i remember the days of using clothes pegs and a bit of cardbaord on my raliegh grifter, the spokes like the rest of the bike was "bombproof " or weighed a ton ....
    FCN 3/5/9
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    JonGinge wrote:

Saw one in Brizzle, but red, 'parked up' by McDonalds, meant to gedt a photo today when I saw it. Will try on monday if I can remember that far ahead.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Harry182 wrote:
    We had the ghetto version of this when I was a kid -- baseball cards + clothes pins = magic.

Me too, although the cards were generally Star Wars bubble gum cards. Helped that I had a Grifter, which looked like a motorbike anyway. Kinda. ;)

The other thing was to tuck the plastic flap of the mudguard back under itself, so it rubbed against the tyre tread. That only worked for a while though; until the flap had been worn away...
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)