Spongy, Ineffective Cantilever Brakes

cje
cje Posts: 148
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I commute on an old Raleigh MTB, primarily for it's sterling anti-theft properties. It does the job, but the brakes are a bit, how shall I put it? Crap. The rear brake in particular is useless, requiring a heavy spongy pull, which barely slows the bike, let alone stops it.

I know this could be down to a number of reasons, but to save time and expense, in what order should I begin the process of trial and error? I'm a bike-fettling novice, so please be gentle.

Thanks in advance

CJE

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Check that the pads are hitting the rim squarely (or that the braking surface is flat against the rim when pulled), also ensure the toe-in on the pad isn't massive, should be just enough for front of brake to hit before rear of pad.

Check the spring tension on the cantilever to make sure it is strong enough to return, make sure the cable is well lubed so it isn't catching (cable might be sticking and requiring more pull and therefore a 'spongy' feel...
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...