Ever feel like the weather has got it in for you?

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
See

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =IBLACKIS2

Scroll down to the charts. You'll see at 7am (when I was just deciding what to wear) the air was pretty much still and it was dry. You can't ask for much more (especially up here).

By the time I was crossing the Kessock Bridge at 8am, the cross-wind was a steady 25mph (gusting to 30mph) and it was pi55ing with rain. Fortunately the recent colder weather meant I at least had arm warmers on and the lid lights meant I was wearing my MTB lid with visor. Otherwise I was in full summer gear.

The weather itself isn't too much of an issue (though the bridge was a bit concerning) it's just that I've never had such a rapid weather transformation in one commute.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• I see that weather station is for Avoch - that's where I grew up! Still call it home as my folks live in Fortrose now.

I'm guessing you must live somewhere near Culbokie? What's your commuting route? Something like Munlochy, Drumsittal, North Kessock Kessock Bridge then Inverness? Or do you miss out North Kessock and go along the A9 to the Kessock Bridge?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    It was a lovelly ride this morning in London. Not too cold, no rain and minimal wind :P
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • meanredspider
    blackisler wrote:
    I see that weather station is for Avoch - that's where I grew up! Still call it home as my folks live in Fortrose now.

I'm guessing you must live somewhere near Culbokie? What's your commuting route? Something like Munlochy, Drumsittal, North Kessock Kessock Bridge then Inverness? Or do you miss out North Kessock and go along the A9 to the Kessock Bridge?

Yup - Wunderground is fantastic for the local info. And, yes, Culbokie.

Here's my route in (yesterday on the CX)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123106475
    and this was my route bac
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123106468
    though I tend to vary my route home quite a bit to either do a few more miles, more hills, or avoid the A9 in the dark!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I only ever feel like the weather has it in for me when I leave the house.

Head wind into work which means it will be a head wind home as the wind normally blows that way. Really hoping for a rabbit or two to chace down tonight though just to give me some incentive into the wind.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have a personal headwind
  • The weather definitely had it in for me on Saturday - what felt like a 40mph cross/head wind all the way along Glencoe and over Rannoch, laced with rain & hail that gave me a better exfoliation job than Nitromors.

Add to that all the moronic twunks who can't bear to have their journey slowed by a few nanoseconds and are happy to run you into the verge, a raging hangover (Clachaig Inn beer "festival" :D ) and hey presto - instant misery.

I'd have been better off with an aqualung and flippers.....
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    +1

:evil:

I already made up my mind last winter that if I get caught in another raging storm and get an unexpected visit from the bitch PF i will ride the bike home, screw the rims

dark, cold, wet f******* b****** c***** weather :evil: :x
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    Wind from a very unusual direction this morning - more-or-less the east - coming in off my port beam. Slightly tentative on the way down the bridge. Hopefully blow me up the hills on the way home (aye right...)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Its that farking annoying time of the year when its fecking cold and dark at 7am and warm on the way home, buff and arm warmers are the win!
  • meanredspider
    iPete wrote:
    Its that farking annoying time of the year when its fecking cold and dark at 7am and warm on the way home, buff and arm warmers are the win!

Yes - 10 degree different between morning and evening. Then last week I think I wore every type of clothing I own: winter tights, boots, jacket & buff at the beginning of the week through to shorts & s/s jersey by the end. Mad.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Infamy, infamy, the weather always has it in for me....

Part of life up here in the great northern wilderness.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • meanredspider
    Got home about 5 minutes earlier tonight due to tailwind.

42mph in the dark downhill on a dark single track lane - testament to the Ayups and the CX brakes

Stupid bloody farmer - pulled over in a passing place then realised I was a bike (and therefore only required 3" of road width) and set off again. I hope he wasn't too religious as I shared some choice language with him as I passed millimetres from his door mirror.
  • Torrential downpour this morning and then massive uber puncture that the slime innertube would have dealt with if the tyre hadn't been full of water...

Late into work and would have patched the tyre at lunch if i hadn't had the afternoon off to go to a funeral, so had to bunk off to fix it, then ride home again in more torrential rain, shower, get changed in time to get drenched again on the way to watching my friend get cremated...!