Hub gears/full chainguard commuting bike?

pete99
pete99 Posts: 43
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
I normally zip to and from work on a lightweight road bike, carrying a bag on my shoulder and showering at work. However, there's days when I have to go to meetings on my way in, and that's where I need a different bike.

Ideally, I'd need something that I can happily ride in office clothes without fear of getting muck and oil on me – full mudguards, full chainguard and, ideally, hub gears. I'd probably put a basket/carrier on the front for bag + locks. My commute is fairly flat but about six miles, so ideally something not astonishingly heavy – as most of the traditional Dutch-type bikes and/or Pashleys tend to be.

As it's an extra bike, and as I'll be locking it up around London, so I could really do with a model I could pick up second hand, to save on the cost.

Any thoughts or tips? It's not an area of cycling I know much about.

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If you're not 100% sure it has to be hub gears, there are a couple of Raleigh "town" bikes that would fit your bill - chainguards, mudguards, upright stance and fairly reasonable price.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • pete99
    I could probably live without hub gears so long as the chainguard is good - thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mmmm sounds just like a nice belt drive bike with a Alfine hub is what you need.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    nicklouse wrote:
    Mmmm sounds just like a nice belt drive bike with a Alfine hub is what you need.

Good call. Or a single speed with a belt drive if you're only cycling within London...
  • pete99
    I've looked with great interest at those belt drive bikes, but currently they're all a bit new and flash, meaning a/ they're a bit beyond my planned budget and b/ might get nicked
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Alfine is a bit of a luxury for occasional "suit" use. A 3-speed with belt drive should be much cheaper and give you sufficient gearing for non-sweaty riding.
    You may be able to pick up an old steel tourer with lightweight butted tubes and horizontal dropouts and have a frame brake brazed in.
  • Bi50N wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Good call. Or a single speed with a belt drive if you're only cycling within London...

Should find a district for a few hundred tops by now they are 3 years old after all
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fo12_planet_tr_30x_724e2ca1c7.png
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • There's this

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... 010(size61).aspx?&id=9628

Comfy ride weighs a bit but geared well & rolls along nicely. I have the (now obsolete) alfine version that has been bombproof & really reliable, its my jeep bike.
  • pete99
    All great ideas, thanks.

Now, if I could only find one of them second hand....
  • Check out eBay, search on "Dutch Bike".

As an indication of what's about here's some pretty good 2nd hand stuff that ended over the last weekend:

a 7 speed Sparta, recently serviced, in East London went for £115
    a 3 speed X Pedition, in Hastings, went for £97
    a 3 speed Gazelle, in Harrogate, went for £122

all looked to be genuine sellers, good brands, bikes in good nick with the usual fittings, and would have made excellent buys at those prices. Where stated, the frame size was for tall people (61cm).

Generally, the further from London you get, the less the bike fetches. Also, you very often find little-used ladies Dutch bikes going cheaper than men's and I suspect that they are being sold because the owners found the frame sizes were too big for them. They usually do seem to be the larger sizes. There is absolutely no reason why men can't own and ride them.

I switched over to bikes with hub gears and enclosed chain cases this summer and haven't looked back. I have two of them. You do need to know that it is awkward to get the wheels on and off these bikes.

eBay is a mixed bag. There are some gems, and some real dogs too. As always, DYODD (Do Your Own Due Diligence)!