Force Carbon cable routing

Kevyb
Kevyb Posts: 56
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I got my new frame today, the cables route internally. They have strange rubber things in at the moment. Do I take these out ? Do I stop the new outer cable at this point? Does the whole outer cable pass through the frame.

Heeeeeeeeelp can't find any info on the net

Kev

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's a GT Force I assume?

What strange rubber things? Do you mean little plastic tubes running through the frame? If so, feed the inner cable through those! It's unusual for the outer to run through the frame, it generally stops as it enters the tubing. If there are no guides then it's usually a case of just poking an inner cable through and hoping for the best!

Suspect SS knows, as the forums resident GT fanboi :-)
  • Kevyb
    Thanks for the reply, here is a link with for a photo. I think what your saying makes sense

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18521336/photo.JPG
  • njee20
    Right yes, those look to go all the way through the frame (assuming there's a corresponding one at the other end?). Tape it to the frame now, if that comes out you'll spend hours trying to re-thread it.

Cut (or try pulling?) the end off the plastic thing and you'll be able to pass an inner cable through the frame, you then pull the clear tube off (and keep it for when you replace the cables). You'll need to do the loop of outer cable from the shifter to the frame first, you'll still need ferrules as normal - it's just a hole in the frame instead of an external stop.
  • Kevyb
    Cheers for the help, yep that all makes sense now. I've ordered some new cables so hopefully the bits I need will be with them.

I have posted elswhere but do you have any recomendations for 150mm forks, need to be black though?
  • njee20
    Nope sadly not! About 50mm too much travel for my liking... :-)
  • Kevyb
    Will I need a special cap to put in the frame, so the outer cable doesn't fall straight into the frame?
  • njee20
    No, there'll almost certainly be a cable stop in there, it won't just be a big hole - a normal 4mm outer ferrule should be fine.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Google image search?

GT_Force_Carbon_Sport_2010_10.jpg
    p4pb4051536.jpg
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Kevyb
    Hi guys,

I received my new cables and I was correct, they fall straight through the holes in the frame. It needs some kind of insert in the frame to reduce the size of the hole.

Any ideas
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which should have come with the frame.

something like this then

CHA056.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Kevyb
    That look the bit I need. Any idea where I can get them from or what they are called