Not my most professional moment

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
My bosses boss sent me and my boss an email this morning about a thing called "shift left"; which is about moving tasks to teams more suited to carrying them out as your business needs change and expand.

He detailed how we need to keep abreast of the task moves into and out of the various teams and ensure that we know who is now responsible and that all the due diligence work has been carried out.

I replied with this:

129083200592551080.jpg
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Oh, how they laughed to see KB repeatedly swiping his security pass and getting BEEP and a red light.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    He used to work there :lol:

So. Now you've got all this time on your hands K_B.........................
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I was on form this morning I have to admit. I did send an email to a senior manager explaining that it is physically impossible to restore data that is two weeks old from a tape that is only 2 days old, unless Dr Who was involved.

and yes I did say Dr Who.

I hadn't had a coffee by this point, I blame him for sending daft questions that early in the working day.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I recently sent an email saying that it was the traders that needed upgrading rather than their workstations.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I was on form this morning I have to admit. I did send an email to a senior manager explaining that it is physically impossible to restore data that is two weeks old from a tape that is only 2 days old, unless Dr Who was involved.

I hadn't had a coffee by this point, I blame him for sending daft questions that early in the working day.

Priceless! i got an email today that's doing the rounds, supposedly genuine email communication between a bloke and his housing assoc. landlords, one of the entries was:

Out Of Office Alert: I am currently on leave, travelling through time. I will be back last week.
  • I was on form this morning I have to admit. I did send an email to a senior manager explaining that it is physically impossible to restore data that is two weeks old from a tape that is only 2 days old, unless Dr Who was involved.

Priceless! i got an email today that's doing the rounds, supposedly genuine email communication between a bloke and his housing assoc. landlords, one of the entries was:

Out Of Office Alert: I am currently on leave, travelling through time. I will be back last week.

Hahahaha! It's almost worth going back into the financial sector just to set that up as my autoreply :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I was on form this morning I have to admit. I did send an email to a senior manager explaining that it is physically impossible to restore data that is two weeks old from a tape that is only 2 days old, unless Dr Who was involved.

Hahahaha! It's almost worth going back into the financial sector just to set that up as my autoreply :D

Surely "I am currently on leave, travelling through time. I will be back a few years ago to prevent the shtick hitting the fan" would be better :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

i had a user ask me yesterday "ive lost some files can you get them back"?

I replied "possibly, how old were the files"?

"oh, about 3 years"

"erm...no i doubt it"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I'm always of tho opinion at work that pompous stuff such as this needs a little knock niw and again.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    My MD once asked me while I was sitting on comms room floor trying to fix it what was wrong with e-mail and when it was going to be fixed. He was the 4th director to ask the same question in about 20 mins. I was under pressure and I snapped and replied "I can either f*cking fix it or stop and waste time f*cking explaining to you what's wrong which you won't understand anyway. I know it's urgent so f*ck off and let me fix it". His shocked reply was along the line of "I am the MD you know" before storming out. When back up and running I want to apologise only to be told that I was right, but could I tone the language down next time and not pull him up in front of other staff.

We do have some history though, he pulled me up on something minor once (about 10 years ago) when I was working all hours and making the company a lot of money, the stand up row we had resulted in me telling him what exactly what I thought of him before resigning. The argument caused the ops director to shut the office down early (about 3pm) as everyone in the building could hear me tearing him apart.

Looking back I wonder how I'm still here sometimes......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Aha Management. :roll:

In case anyone is interested, my signature is a real quote from our one-time MD in response to a long history of problems and a very public disagreement about the dissemination (or otherwise) of vital information.

I still don't think he understand why everyone stopped arguing, then left shaking heads.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We currently have a bit of an employee retention policy, one major factor frequantly cited is poor communications, we usually only find out someone is leaving when the car drops on our desk to sign for them.......Oh the irony....to cap it all off they had a well known about management event to discuss it then refused to tell us what was discussed!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Believe it or not I am usually the meek and mild type at work, I like to keep my head down, get on with my work and avoid trouble, I just seeth quietly later on at home.

However when I was working in the prison service (admin staff not a prison officer) and the POA went out on their one day wildcat strike I walked with them (I was a POA member so supported my colleagues) We had a prat of a governor who frankly couldn't run an orgy in a knocking shop and on the day of the walk out I finally snapped and told him what an incompetent idiot I thought he was and recieved a round of applause from a crowd of prison officers when I said they had more respect for the sex offenders on the inside than they did for him.

I am still surprised to this day I wasn't sacked on the spot!

The governor after that avoided me as much as possible and I made a friend out of the deputy governor :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited October 2011
    They can't sack me - nobody knows what I do 8)

I'm due to retire in January so my manager asked me to prepare a report of exactly what I do - came to eight pages of A4 - she asked me if she could have a management overview - pointed out to her that was the management overview and the full report came to 40+ pages - she hasn't mentioned it since
  • NGale

I know a prison officer like that. he used to just turn up at the start of shift, walk around with a clip board or folder, take lunch at the same time as everyone else. It was 5 years before a governor asked him what he actually did. :lol:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Ah - the clip board - natures passport :)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Can't sack me everyone thinks I know something they don't.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987

I'm due to retire in January so my manager asked me to prepare a report of exactly what I do.
    Your boss doesn't know what you do ? Nice one :D
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    dhope wrote:
    I recently sent an email saying that it was the traders that needed upgrading rather than their workstations.

I think you've hit the nail on the head for your bank!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    This place is the embodiment ofunprofessional at almost every level. Working with old cars we have a bit of an old school motor trade attitude to most things. Political correctness is very much frowned upon.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Large banks are the most bonkers places on the planet. I am literally AGAPE half the time.

The other half I'm on here.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Twostage wrote:

I'm due to retire in January so my manager asked me to prepare a report of exactly what I do.
    Your boss doesn't know what you do ? Nice one :D

My boss is a planner - her knowledge of geophysics could be written on the head of a small pin
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    We currently have a bit of an employee retention policy, one major factor frequantly cited is poor communications, we usually only find out someone is leaving when the car drops on our desk to sign for them.......Oh the irony....to cap it all off they had a well known about management event to discuss it then refused to tell us what was discussed!

Simon

Blimey, you get a car when you leave your place, even if it's covered in graffiti it would be worth getting a job at your company. How do you get everyone to sign it without the recipient seeing it first though? :wink:
  • Our employee retention policy seems to be "we'll keep him, him and her, and get rid of them two". :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • NGale
    my job in the prison was one of those 'what does she do types of jobs' 5 grand more in pay and it would have been perfect. Everyone let me get on with it and people dared not disturb me while the Archers was on. :lol: