Cracked Seat Tube...

holiver
holiver Posts: 729
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey Guys,

I've noticed a bit of play in the saddle and seatpost upon my steed of late, along with a creaking sound. I thought it might be some dirt getting in there, but on further inspection I have noticed:

tyBJbl.jpg
SCZfKl.jpg
ZlQAYl.jpg

Do we think anything can be done to salvage this, or is the frame now scrap?

Cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would bin it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Nice crack. That's not good, needs a frame builder. What frame is it? What kind of warranty does it have?
  • holiver
    It's a Merlin Malt 1 from 2007. I need to confirm the warranty on it, but I've emailed them with the photos.
  • holiver
    I popped into my LBS who are familiar with my bike over lunchtime. They said it was fooked in their opinion and that I should wait to hear back from Merlin.

My only concern with a replacement frame, whatever the source, is that my current one has a very, very short head tube (~110mm) and that the fork has been cut to that, with only a couple of spacers under the stem.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the terms of their warranty.
  • holiver
    Yeah. I need to dig out whatever documentation I received with the bike to double check, as the website doesn't help in this regard.

In any case, it's not the kind of failure I would expect from a frame that has been used as a commuter, despite how horrible some London roads are! The seat post has been run well under its maximum extension too.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    OOCH.. result of an impact?
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • holiver
    No. It must be a manufacturing or design fault, as 4.5 years worth of light commuting shouldn't result in this kind of damage in my opinion.

In any case, I will sort it out with Merlin and eagerly await their response via email!