Is Pearce the right man to lead the GB Olympic Football Team

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Stuart Pearce 'honoured' to coach Team GB at Olympics.

So, who's in your team?

I'll start - Gareth Bale....
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Luke Varney :D
    FCN 2 to 8
  • I knew his dad, Reg :wink:
  • Team GB, it's this sort of jaw-dropping arrogance that p*sses the rest of Britain off. We were asked if we wanted a Team GB and we said no....so the English go ahead and do it anyway. Then you all wonder why we want to see you get beaten all the time. :roll:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Well that's that then. If the Scot's won't play for Team GB where we find any decent players? I hope the Isle of Man doesn't decide that it doesn't want to be part of GB too, as that might actually have an effect on the number of medals we might win :wink:
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    seems silly depending on the sport whether people wish to represent GB or not.

Can just imagine Chris Hoy saying its not fair he can't represent Scotland on the track....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Football in the Olympics is a bit daft.

Discuss.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rebs wrote:
    seems silly depending on the sport whether people wish to represent GB or not.

Can just imagine Chris Hoy saying its not fair he can't represent Scotland on the track....

I remember Alex Salmond trying to trumpet the great Olympic contribution made by Scotland, and how we should have a separate team - meaning Hoy, naturally. I think Chris Hoy pointed out that there wasn't even a decent velodrome in Scotland, and he wouldn't have won diddly if it hadn't been for Team GB.

Edit: Linky : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2620262 ... -team.html

And yes, who better than Stuart Pearce. The man is a legend.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Football in the Olympics is a bit daft.

Discuss.

I think the Olympics should always be the pinnacle of a particular sport and if it isn't then that sport shouldn't be in the Olympics. So no tennis and football.

Having said that, since it is in, and it's taking place in London, it'd be nice to see GB/England competing.

I can understand the home nations fearing being forced to play as GB and therefore being publically very critical of it, but I read that Craig Brown (Scotland manager) had said that he wouldn't look kindly on any Scotish player putting themselves forward for it and that it was a 'selfish' thing to do, I thought that was going it a bit far.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Linvoy Primus...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Yes I am sure he can "lead" the team to struggle badly through the group stage then get stuffed in the quarterfinal whilst pissing off the Welsh, Scottish and Irish FAs and giving FIFA yet another reason to hate England. Trebles all round!!
    <a>road</a>
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    I am a scot (albeit living in England) who is all for a british team competing in the olympics. I frankly think the idea of the SFA objecting is more arrogant than the idea of the team going ahead despite the objection but each to his own viewpoint.
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • iclestu wrote:
    I am a scot (albeit living in England) who is all for a british team competing in the olympics. I frankly think the idea of the SFA objecting is more arrogant than the idea of the team going ahead despite the objection but each to his own viewpoint.

How will you feel when FIFA says they will only recognise a UK team to compete at the World Cup & Euro Championships?
    <a>road</a>
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    It will just turn into Team Beckham anyway if he decides to take part. Should be an opportunity to play all the best youngsters from the home nations, not another ego trip or media circus revolving around one player.

Would have been a better idea to pick a manager who didn't have such strong links to the England national side, however if Scotland, Wales and Norn Ireland decide to ban their players from taking part it will be very unfair on the young players from these countries who, and I do not mean to be rude, may never get to play at a World Cup or Euros.

My pick is Josh McEachran. Be interesting to see what the kit looks like, hopefully no union jack shorts!
  • iclestu
    iclestu wrote:

How will you feel when FIFA says they will only recognise a UK team to compete at the World Cup & Euro Championships?

I may be ill-informed but didnt Blatter specifically say that this was not going to be an issue?

• iclestu
    oooo - and digressing slighlty....

i think they should replace both League Cups with a UK club championship.

Little interest in the League Cups either north or south of the border. Always LOADS of interest if a scottish team draws and english team in europe. A bit of extra interest (and probably tv revenue) into the league cup competitions?

Thoughts?

• iclestu wrote:
    iclestu wrote:

I may be ill-informed but didnt Blatter specifically say that this was not going to be an issue?

Fair enough, he's a trustworthy chap.
    <a>road</a>
  • iclestu
    iclestu wrote:
    iclestu wrote:

Fair enough, he's a trustworthy chap.

ha, fair point. But surely when he's 'on record' with it....

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    thecrofter wrote:
    Team GB, it's this sort of jaw-dropping arrogance that p*sses the rest of Britain off. We were asked if we wanted a Team GB and we said no....so the English go ahead and do it anyway. Then you all wonder why we want to see you get beaten all the time. :roll:

[Macglashan]“And if you put your hand into the Hurley Burley bag it would give you special powers, He gets one wish and he gets to go on sports night and stoat Jimmy Hill on the head and go Take that! You big-chinned English B*****d!”[/Macglashan]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    however if Scotland, Wales and Norn Ireland decide to ban their players from taking part it will be very unfair on the young players from these countries who, and I do not mean to be rude, may never get to play at a World Cup or Euros

Changes to the Euro qualifying mean that the home nations will have a great chance in future qualifying. They'll not see a World Cup for many years though.

The Olympic Football will have no interest to most players.....expect to see a lot of sick notes.

There was a tournament involving NI, ROI, Scotland and Wales this year. England wanted nothing to do with it.........then wonder why the other FAs won't support them!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • BBC wrote:
    just three players over the age of 23 allowed in each 18-man squad

Why?

It should be either open to anyone, or restricted to a certain age group, not an arbitrary number of players outside of an equally arbitrary age limit surely? Otherwise why not limit it to players who have the surname Jones except for 3 called Evans?