Central Scotland route - Stirling - Glasgow

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited December 2011 in Commuting general
Hi All,

I'm going to start commuting between Stirling and Glasgow (west end) - will probably start by just riding one way Glasgow - Stirling at the end of the day. Any recommendations for a route?

I scoped one out a few weekends ago - Stirling - Bonnybridge - back roads to Banknock - Kirkintilloch - Cadder then along the Forth and Clyde canal towpath to the top of Queen Margaret Drive. I will be using a CX bike so I don't think the canal path will be too bad.

I'm wondering if there is an improvement on this, mostly in terms of avoiding busy roads. I guess I could go over the Tak-ma-Doon to avoid the drag strip from Denny to Stirling. Other than that, I'd be welcome to hear any alternative routes that would take 90-120 min (I did the above route in 90 min with a big tailwind).
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• vanleapo
    vanleapo Posts: 150
    Hey Davey,
    How are you getting on with this ride. It's a hell of a commute especially for the winter months.
    Another option to get on to the F & C canal a bit earlier would be to turn left opposite the Glenskirlie House Hotel and this road takes you to the canal.
    The other option as you say is the road from Stirling to Carron Bridge, then down the Tak ma Doon. This is a difficult ride at the best of times.
    Tearfund Tour of Scotland 26th May to 1st June 2013
    http://www.justgiving.com/phil-godley
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    I've ridden Doune->Glasgow a few times via the A811/A81, Strathblane & Milngavie. The A811 is quiet if you are leaving early enough to get to work for 9ish. Don't know that I'd enjoy it much coming home after 5, though.
    The bits of the towpathI've ridden (mostly west of Bishopbriggs) have been fine on a road bike (tourer/fixie, not lightweight race machine).

Cheers,
    W.