Headset install - easy question?!

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
edited October 2011 in Workshop
Hello all, I'm trying to build up my new frame, unfortunately it came with no headset instructions so I'm a little stuck. The following picture shows that I at least (I think) I know what order / direction most of the bits go in, however I don't know where the 2 silver rings above go! I think the non wavey one might be a dust cap, which would sit on top of the top bearing? Please help! Thanks!

6263382822_b03233c041.jpg
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What make is it? I've found instructions / exploded diagrams for a range of FSA ones online before; insurance for when I was taking mine to bits out of curiosity.

No wavy washers involved in mine IIRC
  • mclarent
    It's a ritchey - not exactly certain but I believe it's a WCS, came with my Wilier Cento Uno frameset.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    Pop down to your LBS and ask them to fit it for you. Mine charged me a tenner.
  • The thin silver rings are shims, you may need them between the top bearing taper collet and the black conical top spacer, depends on how the bearings drop into the head tube. Fit the forks into the frame with bearings etc, then fit top conical cap, stem apscers and stem, nip down the top cap screw to preload the bearings and make sure you have free movement without the black conical spacer cap binding on the top edge of the headtube. If it does, you need to fit one or both of the silver shims to give it clearance to move.

From your picture of the part, fit this way - black collet onto fork steerer tube, then bearing. Fit fork into frame, then top bearing over fork steerer tube, then silver split collet over steerer tube and make sure the thin taper part locates into centre bore of the bearing. Then black conical cap, any stem height spacers required and then stem, then top cap and nip down the screw to preload the bearings and check for movement as described above.

5 minute job :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • mclarent
    Cheers Johnny, built it up as you said, don't think I need the spacers.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW the spacer skims / wavey washers are only needed if the headtube machining is out of tolerance i.e. binding at top or bottom
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..