Parents and owners of Trailer Bikes/ Trail Gator...

jorge1690
jorge1690 Posts: 6
edited November 2011 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi everyone,

I'm a student at Loughborough University in my final year of a product design degree; as part of this I must redesign an existing product or invent something completely new. I have decided to focus on Trailer Bikes and, in particular, improving the tow bar concept used by the Trail-Gator.

I like the fact that the Trail-Gator adds flexibility and allows the child to have freedom, as well giving them the option to be hooked on when tired. Has anyone had any particularly bad experiences with this product?

I've heard and read that they can be really awkward to fit; is there a particular aspect of the design that is most troublesome?

I have managed to get my hands on a second hand Trail-Gator and, having looked closely at it, feel that it actually appears quite cheap - anyone agree? Has anyone had any concerns over the quality of it when in use?

If you have any further input unrelated to the questions above then I would be hugely grateful! Looking for ways of improving what is already on the market...

If people have some answers to any of the following questions that would be great!

· Have you had previousexperience with the Trail-Gator product?

· If yes, how do you feel it compares with the more traditional Trailer Bikes?

· If no, do you know of anyone who has and what experiences they have had with it?

· What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of the Trailer Bikes and Trail-Gator designs?

· A possible concern with these products is that the child is behind the parent and out of view; I am considering a design where the child is alongside - what are your thoughts on this?

· Have you got any further comments you would like to make about these products and ways of improving them?

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    And no, I don't sell them. :lol:

Fitting takes a good hour. You may need to use shims and retry again to get the angle on the rear bike right. (I'm including that in the hour). I also taped the headset in an attempt to limit the scratching. I'm assuming that effort will come to nothing, but meh - better scratched bike and safe kid than otherwise, eh? If I had any concerns with the quality of the product, I surely wouldn't ride at 30mph with my pride and joy attached on the rear... ;)

· Have you had previous experience with the Trail-Gator product?
    Not prior to getting one. Asked lots of questions. Gots lots of answers. It ticked too many boxes. Certainly not a light unit though (although, of my bike kit, it IS something I want to be pretty robust) ;)

· If yes, how do you feel it compares with the more traditional Trailer Bikes?

Some, but not all, trailer bikes I've tried ride a little better - but not a heap better IMHO. But, just for the sheer versatility of it, trailgator wins hands down. Seriously, I don't understand why anyone (without rear suspension*) would think about a trailer bike. You can mount it on most (but not all) kid's bikes - so it gives you the best of both worlds. Ride attached. Unattached. Or change to suit the situations. Often, for me, she can be attached/unattached several times in a 15+ mile journey. Of course, the times attached are becoming less frequent as her cycling improves.

*Actually, any way of using it where the front wheel can touch the ground is not great. So that includes riding over bumps etc too. Speedhumps are fine. Anything bigger, and it's not great.

· If no, do you know of anyone who has and what experiences they have had with it?

As above. I asked lots of questions. Don't fit on all bikes. Many ppl with bad opinions I think didn't have it fitted securely enough (it, or the seat post).

· What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of the Trailer Bikes and Trail-Gator designs?

See above. With trailer bikes, you're stuck with the one use. With trailgator, you can mix it up. I will also soon be upgrading Thing1's bike, but will still be able to use trailgator with it.

· A possible concern with these products is that the child is behind the parent and out of view; I am considering a design where the child is alongside - what are your thoughts on this?

This is an issue. I prefer my little one to be in front of me, so I use a BoBike mini. We also have a cargobike which I use, but not as often as I used to as they are getting older/heavier, and Thing1 can ride herself.

Having said that - I think it's more important with younger ones. And most of the time when I need to tell the older one something, she is detached and riding in front of me anyway. Otherwise, she's on the back, attached.

· Have you got any further comments you would like to make about these products and ways of improving them?
    As interesting as it sounds, I'm not sure I'd be in favour of a side-mounted one. Wider wheelbase. Extra complexity? More parts? Extra weight? Can bikes still lean through corners? When following me, Thing1 does follow my lead. Leaning. Out of the saddle.
    Etc etc.

Still... interested to see your ideas.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Thanks so much for your reply Baudman - you've made some really interesting points that back up what I've already heard from others. If i get the chance i will certainly try and upload some initial concepts for you to take a look at and give some feedback on if that is ok...?
  • Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies already, much appreciated.

I am getting into the concept development stage of my project now and just had some questions relating to bags...

When using trailer bikes/trail-gator, do people tend to wear a rucksack to carry things for the day out etc?

If so, what kind of things would you normally put in there?

Do you feel this could hinder your movement and restrict being able to look over your shoulder to check your child?

I am considering adding some form of storage aspect to my design, possibly that then acts as a mud guard... any thoughts?

Thanks again!
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    When I used one always found the bike behind was slightly lobsided.

I also ended up buying another seatpost / saddle that had the tailgator attached as I didnt want to ride around with the tailgator as it was quite heavy and bulky.

TBH never used it when the kid's were tired (it was just a cheaper than buying a proper trailerbike) I used to carry a set of bungie cords for towing the kids up hills if they got tired, which works really well.
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • baudman
    When using trailer bikes/trail-gator, do people tend to wear a rucksack to carry things for the day out etc?
    Sometimes I use a Topeak clip on rack with my normal racktop bag I use for commuting, but I need to be wary, as this can strike the trailgator if we go over large bumps. Otherwise, one of my crumplers is semi-common - but that's semi-common walking around too. ;)

If so, what kind of things would you normally put in there?
    Kid stuff. A drink. Sunscreen. Beer. Jacket(s). Hat(s). Food. Stuff. Anything.

Do you feel this could hinder your movement and restrict being able to look over your shoulder to check your child?
    Nup, but I am well-practiced.

I am considering adding some form of storage aspect to my design, possibly that then acts as a mud guard... any thoughts?
    Can't hurt. It is one of the distinct benefits of a trailer. Not that trailers are a direct competitor, but they could be a transitioning from one.

Oh, and lopsided trailgators (or any tagalongs) generally means they haven't been mounted straight in the first place. Or, things aren't tight enough. Or, they're pieces of crap to start with that don't allow them to be mounted straight/tight enough.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Thanks again baudman... you make some good points! if there are any other features you feel could make the trail-gator/trailer bikes better then i would love to hear them...
  • baudman
    I love the way it telescopes in so you can ride along with them detached. I don't like the clip down on your axle that it attaches to when doing that.. It's the only cheap/breakable part on it, I reckon. And, it's worse when you aren't using it (i.e. - you're towing a bike), so it's just hanging out in the breeze.

Of course, with your ideas, I'm not sure how well your concept would go riding it without being attached. But if you are contemplating that, think about how well it works with a bike unattached, as attached.

Also, there are a number of bike combinations (some adult bikes, but I think mainly the kid's bikes) that it won't attach too.

It IS heavy. But then, I think it's better to be over engineered than under, when the potential of breakage could be there.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    On this month's CTC magazine "Cycle", there was an article about a Swiss alternative to the trail-gator called "Follow-me tandem": http://www.followme-tandem.com/english/
    It costs more than twice the RRP of the trail gator, but allegedly solves the issues of stability and quality of the trailgator.
    The reviewer, Chris Juden, and his friend who road tested it, was positively impressed.
    Whether it is worth its RRP, I am not sure. For some people it might be the only solution.
  • baudman
    That looks great! And, it makes sense it's double the price, as there's quite a bit of metal and R&D in there, I'm sure.

Twice the performance? Not sure. But having the weight down low on the rear axle would certainly be a bonus! (Not that I really have any trouble with the trailgator). Looks like it would certainly have a 'standard' angle on the trailing bike (ie, not vary as much dep on the size of the trailing bike), and could handle a larger bike than the trailgator too.
  • Thanks guys, certainly an interesting alternative! There is still plenty of room for innovation and there must be a way of avoiding such a high RRP...
  • I'm going to buy one of the Follow-Me Tandem's after reading that same article in the CTC magazine. We currently have a Burley Piccolo tagalong and it is great (they are no longer made unfortunately; it attaches to a specially made rear rack rather than to the seatpost so is a lot more stable than many other tagalongs). However, storage space is at a real premium for us so the Follow-Me Tandem looks like a better solution for my family.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in buying my Burley Piccolo please let me know (I plan to put it up on the classified section here or on eBay soon).
  • Trail gator is perhaps a good thing for children. The truth is that it allows children to have flexibility and give them freedom. Some of the trail gators are very difficult to fix and therefore you will need a modern type to get what you want. You can even get a type as you have said and take sample of it by taking a proper look at it then you will have all the detail you want.