Ski season 2011/12

2»

Comments

• Paul_iow
    Paul_iow Posts: 110
    Where would people suggest going for a week of skiing, or boarding for the 1st time, around Feb time? In Europe please :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    Les deux alpes is reasonable for beginners. TO be honest, have a look at smaller resorts as you can't really make use of large resorts anyway, so you may as well save the money. If you want the nightlife though you ll have to go to a big resort- Austria is great for apres ski, particularly St Anton!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    Hopefully I'll be taking a team of 8 (4 alpine + 4 Nordic) to Rupholding (S?) in Germany for 3 weeks (1.5 training +1.5 racing) if I pull it off it should be a good few weeks!
    :D
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,718
    edited October 2011
    Paul_iow wrote:
    Where would people suggest going for a week of skiing, or boarding for the 1st time, around Feb time? In Europe please :D
    My Top Ten Resorts are mostly European (as I haven't done much in North America) - check some of these out:
    - Val D'Isere
    - St. Anton
    - Chamonix/Argentiere
    - Verbier
    - Whistler/Blackcomb
    - Tignes
    - Meribel
    - Val Thorens
    - Zermatt
    - Alpe D'Huez

All have very good skiing, the top half of the table has good night life as well. A lot of them are billed as good for strong skiers but tbh if you're a beginner then I reckon any of them will be fine to get you started. If beer-skiing is the priority then St. Anton is well worth a look :)

BTW: There's bound to be a fair few gaps as I've only included ones I've been to, rather than just read about.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    deadkenny wrote:
    Utah is the most reliable so I keep going back. It helps that there are loads of resorts in easy reach with a car.
    Kenny, which resorts have you been to in Utah then? I need to do my homework :) Have only done Whistler and Tahoe Stateside. Jackson is still on the hit list, but apart from that, not sure whats worth the long haul & jet lag.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Utah -

Park City
    The Canyons
    Solitude
    Brighton
    Snowbird
    Snowbasin

There's also Deer Valley attached to Park City but it's skiiers only (!), as is Alta which links to Snowbird. As I've been skiing with boarders I've never managed to do them. Though they're supposed to be some of the best resorts.

There are a number of other smaller resorts dotted about.

Snowbird is perhaps my favourite for the snow, together with Solitude and Brighton. Park City is famous for being where the hold the Sundance Film Festival (there is also a resort called Sundance). Snowbasin has the most luxurious resort facilities with marble bathrooms and chandeliers in the restaurants. The Canyons is interesting to do some shopping for million dollar homes. Park City, Snowbasin and The Canyons tend to catch the sun though a bit too much.

Further away that I've yet to do - Beaver Mountain, Powder Mountain, Wolf Mountain, Brian Head, Eagle Point. The latter two are a fair distance away from the rest.

Most are about 30 to 45 mins drive from Salt Lake City which is a good cheap base if you want to try them all. Weird for a ski holiday as it's a city, not a ski resort, but it's so close to the mountains. Or you can set up camp in one of the resorts, like Park City. Bit more of a trek to some places, but on the doorstep for 3 at least.

Further away stuff is an hour to two hours or more driving.

Note that Utah is a dry state (Mormons!). Doesn't mean no alcohol, just that most booze is 3% unless you pay membership for special bars that sell the proper stuff, though easy enough. Stuff you get from the stores will be the low alc stuff.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I will be family skiing which I enjoy... but secretly I would like to be doing this again:
    DontLookDown-1.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Stevo_666
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    I will be family skiing which I enjoy... but secretly I would like to be doing this again:
    DontLookDown-1.jpg
    Take it you were doing the Vallee Blanche and not the North Face of the Aiguille du Midi (which would require enormous cojones) ? :)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    :D Yes... though one of our guides was the first person to ski the North Face of the Aiguille du Midi (Yves Detry).

For anyone who has ever seen "Blizzard of Ahh's", this is a view of 'Chamonix, 9,000 vertical feet... below'.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    I can feel a new thread coming on...........
    Peter
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I work in a ski resort, I am a ski instructor, can snowboard badly, xc ski a fair bit too.

I will be skiing on (snow permitting) 24th Nov through to 8th April. I thank you.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Stevo_666
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    :D Yes... though one of our guides was the first person to ski the North Face of the Aiguille du Midi (Yves Detry).

For anyone who has ever seen "Blizzard of Ahh's", this is a view of 'Chamonix, 9,000 vertical feet... below'.

Yep, bit steep isn't it :shock:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bipxH48EIUk
    I've got that Blizzard of Aahs video in the loft somewhere - must dig it out. Of those 6 runs in that Telegraph article, I've done 4 & 5, though one of times I did the Courchevel couloirs was mostly on my ar$e after losing a ski near the top...

Paul Skibum - I hate you :D
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    did tignes last year for three weeks, gonna do another two weeks there this year, vast area with lots of good off piste, gonna do it on SKI'S because that is what normal people do!

would love to do a whole season on skis, very jealous of those that do!
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • No abroad trips for me this year but i will be making the most of the domestic snow when it comes.

I'm only 2 hours from Glen Coe and 3 from aviemore and i have a spare room if any of you southerners are looking to hit Scotland at any time, i'll put you up if you buy the bacons :wink:

Neil
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • I'm off to Adelboden with the Mrs. in January. Going to spend a fortune by the looks of things with the exchange rate! Hopefully if the clutch lasts in my van for a few more months, I'll grab one of the inevitable deals that the stuggling companies will be giving out mid-season and go for a cheapy! :P