oooh some nice new bits at Llandegla

dan shard
dan shard Posts: 722
edited October 2011 in Routes
Im sure the new Northshore section has has been discussed here before which looks like its gonna be a lot of fun and not too far from completion, but last weekend I also noticed a hole new part of the trail that must have been under construction for a while and only just made it up to the existing trail

Just after the triplets towards the end of the circuit theres a diversion to the left that is currently barriered of with a red drop and black drop that then cross the fire road and goes into to some nice looking single track...

Cant wait for it all to open up, looks like it could be quite tricky in parts and a huge amount of fun!!

Comments

• dan shard wrote:
    quite tricky in parts !

At Llandegla? I live in hope.
  • dan shard
    as do we all :D
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    dan shard wrote:
    quite tricky in parts !

At Llandegla? I live in hope.

I've got some hope bits on my bike............ :)
  • Am I wrong to be completely put off going there again. Mainly due to that first climb. I'm not very fit (but getting Fitter all the time). I'm happy to do gisburn every weekend but do end up pushing the bike up most of the hills.

I just cant seem to get over that first killer of a climb(even though I cant really remember it)
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    ^ Yes, MTFU ;) Use the granny ring if you need to but stay in the saddle and keep pedalling. I'm old and fat and can clean all of Llandegla without pushing even if I am a bit crimson at the top of the steep bits.
  • LOL... I was in the granny ring and having to use the brakes I was going THAT slow. It may have just been a case of not having a proper warmup just seemed like straight out of the car and up a hill I had to stop for 5 mins half way up as I was that lightheaded.

But yeah I should MTFU.
  • :? I always liked Coed for the easy start - nice gradual climbs.. the one that gets me is the zig zag bit through the trees on the black run - thats a lung buster but can be done with out stopping.

I like the place, and its not like they rip you off at the car park :D
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I think I see your problem, using the brakes going uphill is bound to slow you down :wink:

I'll be honest and say the first climb nearly killed me when I did it in May this year after not riding the bike for 18 months but that was the kick up the arse I needed to get out on the bike a few times a week and get fitter. The zig zag bit through the trees on the black run does still take a fair amount of effort and I am close to passing out at the top but I just pretend to admire the view until I regain my sight and can say "let's crack on then".
  • pj101
    pj101 Posts: 31
    The easiest way to learn to ride hills is to ride as far up as many hills as you can when you go out. Don't look for flat training rides, aim for training rides with as many hills in them as possible. Once you have the legs/lungs to do the hills, the rest of your riding becomes so much more enjoyable.

Basically, if you're unwilling to train to do the few mile gradual uphill to start Llandegla you may as well stick to canal paths. The more uphill in your rides, the more grin inducing downhill.

Aim to get round Llandegla black without putting a foot down and you're fitness will improve. Some road rides sessioning climbs will also pay dividends.
  • Isn't the "climb" at the start of Llandegla really gentle up the fireroad?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Isn't the "climb" at the start of Llandegla really gentle up the fireroad?

Yarp the climbs are generally shared with the blue, are non techincall and pretty unsteep. :)
  • dan shard
    lol at this thread...its all so familiar. When I havent been there for a while it kills me getting to the top of the the first hill. its gradual and non-technical but does properly take it out of you. The winding one on the black is the real killer though, if I can get to the top of there without throwing up I know Im doing well!! Its all worthwhile though for the brilliant single track. Not the most technical in the world but god its fun

re Coed Y Brenin, that is the hardest 'out of the carpark' climb Ive ever seen!! straight into an uphill rock garden ... ouchy!!!
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Isn't the "climb" at the start of Llandegla really gentle up the fireroad?

Yes
  • P*ss off both of ya :wink::lol:
  • theshrew
    theshrew Posts: 169
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    Am I wrong to be completely put off going there again. Mainly due to that first climb. I'm not very fit (but getting Fitter all the time). I'm happy to do gisburn every weekend but do end up pushing the bike up most of the hills.

I just cant seem to get over that first killer of a climb(even though I cant really remember it)

Ive only been twice and the first time was hard :oops: Something to do with the fact i had no fitness, smoke n drink to much bacicaly done nothing for the last 15 years.

All i did was keep going Trust me if i can do it anyone can. As for the Zig Zag on the black that killed me and had to push up some of that.

The second time i went id had more time on my bike i went up the first bit faster and in a higher gear and got further up the zig zag bit so i was chuffed.

Just keep at it mate
  • Cheers.

To be honest we've managed to make it to gisburn every weekend since we started going ( ok only 3 weeks so far) But I'm getting fitter even though its my only ride of the week. Going to make an extra effort to get out 3-4 times during the week even if its only for an hour of hard slog.