Cateye Uno Front Light

whitestar1
whitestar1 Posts: 530
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
I evently got the Cateye Uno Front Opticube Light. I am not very pleased with it. cost me £30 and I was told it would allow me to see while the EL-135 will allow me to be seen. It isn't bright as I think it should be. But then I am new to this so I dont really have a benchmark to go by. What do you think?
Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

Comments

• Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    I've got one of those, had it for a couple of years now and it's still going strong... It mostly gets used by my girlfriend as I now use a exposure toro but i'm always impressed by how bright the uno is on her bike when when we're out I'm the dark together. I wouldn't really class it as a 'to see by' light but it'll see you home at a push. Small, light, durable and with a single AA, can't go wrong as a be seen commuter light... Very happy with it!
  • I guess it depends on your route. The Cateye will do a job and is bright for the price.
    I would use one on city streets, but wouldn't consider it on country roads or anywhere that isn't lit (you are going into Magicshine/Exposure/AyUp territory there - starting at £80).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I guess it depends on your route. The Cateye will do a job and is bright for the price.
    I would use one on city streets, but wouldn't consider it on country roads or anywhere that isn't lit (you are going into Magicshine/Exposure/AyUp territory there - starting at £80).

Or £33 for a magicshine these days .

bike radar review saying that they are not up to unlit routes..

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ght-39962/
    FCN 3/5/9
  • whitestar1 wrote:
    I evently got the Cateye Uno Front Opticube Light. I am not very pleased with it. cost me £30 and I was told it would allow me to see while the EL-135 will allow me to be seen. It isn't bright as I think it should be. But then I am new to this so I dont really have a benchmark to go by. What do you think?

Bright to be seen, and just bright enough to see very large boulders on the way...

The mount it comes with is notoriously unreliable, replace it with a £5.99 standard Cateye threaded mount.

Tended to switch off on sudden bumps - much better after I mended the semi-circular contacts.

I run EL135 side-by-side with it, as the former is bullet-proof.
  • Just joined the forum.
    For a fantastic main front light try the P7 LED lensor 6288615. This is a fantastic 170 lumen strong 4 inch torch which has a high and low power function.
    Costs about £35 from Amazon plus £11 for the handle bar clamp from which it is easily removed and placed.
    The torch has a narrow beam of circa 100ft plus a wide angle spotlight function easily changed by the sliding helmet at the front of the torch.
    There is no flash so I have a helmet mounted small flash unit.
    This torch is seriously powerful and on high power will last a long time although I have replaced the 4 AAA batterries with rechargeable ones which are 1000 amh as my daughter got hold of it and left it on overnight. It still gave out a good light but you could see it needed more power.
    The body is made of metal and I am told it is a favourite among policemen.
    Read the comments on Amazon and others on the net. For the price plus clamp I believe it is fantastic value. The strong beam in both modes is truly outstanding
    I use 2 bikes to commute into London and catch the tube for 30 mins between cycling. Thus I purchased 2 clamps. Believe me you will be seen.
  • Powerful torches are the way ahead these days for bright cycle lighting. They beat "branded" cycle lights hands down for brightness and value.