removing the freehub on a superstar switch hub

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm having trouble removing the freehub on my superstar switch hub with QR adapters.

The instructions that superstar gave say to use a 5mm allen key or 17mm cone spanner to remove the end caps.

Used a 17mm cone spanner as inside as the 5mm allen key did not fit inside. The non drive side end cap came off with no trouble. but how do I take the drive side end cap off now?

I'm turning it anticlockwise but the end cap just revolves round with the axle and won't un-thread? I'm sure its blatantly obvious and I'm being stupid but i can't work it out. please help.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does it just pull out?

or put the other end back on and start at the other end.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    I've tried giving it a big tug but won't budge.

Also tried putting the non-drive side end cap on again and trying to loosen the drive side end cap but each time the non-drive side always loosens first.

There is a small amount ~5mm of axle sticking out of the non-drive side when the end cap is removed. Should I try to knock that through with a hammer?
  • nicklouse
    ok so you have the freebody cap off?

does the body just pull off?

pics?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jairaj
    its a hub which can take adaptors for different sized axles and skewers. I have the end caps for normal QR skewers.

I have the non drive side end cap off but not the drive side end cap. The instructions that Superstar gave me said the freehub body should pull off once the end caps are removed but I can only remove one of the end caps.

non drive side with end cap:
    [img][/img]https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pUXE ... nd_cap.jpg

non drive side with cap removed:
    [img][/img]https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1prtE ... emoved.jpg

drive side with end cap still attached:
    [img][/img]https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pepP ... e_side.jpg
  • nicklouse
    put cap back on the none drive side and hit it to move the axle is what it looks like.

unless you can put up the tec doc they supplied.
  • jairaj
    yep good old hammer fixed the problem. It dislodged the axle and I could just pull it out of the drive side end. thought that was the solution but wasn't sure thought I better check here. The freehub body just pulled off by hand too.

Now to clean it out and see why it isn't working properly ....

thank you for your help
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Good grief! Glad I found this old thread as I had exactly the same issue replacing the bearings on my Switch Evo... far too much hammering for my liking.

A broom handle got the wheel bearings out nicely, and one of the kids old beach spades had a handle just perfect as a drift for the replacements. How you are supposed to get the freehub bearings out I do not know (presumably there is some sort of puller for these) as it seem you have to remove both sets and the spacer all in one go.

Lets hope it all still works properly!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Check for cracks in the bore behind the pawl recesses. Usually ok on 135 axles but seem to fail regularly on 142 axles.