MagicShine US Plug

richardabulmer
richardabulmer Posts: 89
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Just ordered Magicshine lights from DX UK warehouse and was quite surprised to find US plugs on them.

How do i plug them into a UK plug. Is there an adapter around?

Comments

• Larger branches of Boots. International adapter. bout a fiver.
  • Poundland do the adapters too. Guess how much.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Poundland do the adapters too. Guess how much.
    £1.50?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • thanks for that guys

wasnt too sure on the adapters, because most of the ones i have seen are 2 round hole types they use in europe, not the flat pin ones i have on my magicshine.

i will pop to town this afternoon
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Not sure if the voltage matters but if it's a US charger it's likely to accept 110v whereas our supply will put 220v into it. This may cause a fire hazard through overheating.

Google "USA to UK Voltage Convertor". It maybe worth spending a bit extra and getting a voltage convertor to step down from 220v to 120v.

I may be wrong but maybe someone else out there will have more knowledge of this and add to the thread.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I use a shaver plug adaptor on mine , has been working fine for nearly a year.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Disappointing - thought the extra cost of the UK warehouse was to speed up delivery and supply the correct plug.
    I charge mine from the bathroom shaver socket - 110V without needing any adaptor.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Benno68 wrote:
    Not sure if the voltage matters but if it's a US charger it's likely to accept 110v whereas our supply will put 220v into it. This may cause a fire hazard through overheating.

Google "USA to UK Voltage Convertor". It maybe worth spending a bit extra and getting a voltage convertor to step down from 220v to 120v.

I may be wrong but maybe someone else out there will have more knowledge of this and add to the thread.
    Depends on the charger. If it's an old-fashioned transformer-based charger, it will be voltage-dependent. However, most modern chargers are built around a switch-mode power supply, which will be happy with a wide range of inputs; for instance, most (I suspect all) laptop chargers accept anything between 100 and 240V.

Look at the charger itself; somewhere on it, it'll say what the valid range of input voltages are.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,948
    DrLex wrote:
    Disappointing - thought the extra cost of the UK warehouse was to speed up delivery and supply the correct plug.
    I charge mine from the bathroom shaver socket - 110V without needing any adaptor.

The cost seemed identical when I looked, be it UK or the China warehouse - $57.60 I see on both SKU codes.

Thinking about it, I have a couple of Forerunners in my house, and they both came with the flat plugs, and garmin adapters to convert to 3 pin, so can probably just use those for the Magicshine rear.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    They must have changed prices, as the HK/China sourced ones were around $45 a month or so back; my credit card was charged around £30.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Benno68 wrote:

My DX 'Magicshine' charger says 110-240v on the back. I bought a converter for £1.15 from Amazon and it charges just fine and hasn't burn't my house down yet (or even got particularly warm).
  • I use a £2 from Flea bay on mine. Charger is good for UK voltage - no probs at all.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    DrLex wrote:

I'm pretty sure that a UK supplier must sell electrical equipment with an approved UK plug. If Trading Standards got wind of a UK supplier selling products domestically with a foreign plug, I reckon they would seize the stock.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009