...sigh... MW80s are now in use

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Feet were just too cold even with the baa baas. So the Spring / Summer shoes are back in the wardrobe and the cleats are now on the MW80s until March time :cry:

Right. Bring on the snow and make this worth while :D

It's also slightly tragic that I've got my entire Winter clothing collection out and washed it all in preparation.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Rapha City socks today. Toasty.

Cold everywhere else tho', the Mavic Pulsar's aren't as warm as the Gores. Rapha baselayer seemed decent as did the Icebreaker yesterday.

Lost a bloody glove though, about 6 rides and now lost one. Grrrrr!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Friggin waterproof overshoes until this afternoon (was between sites 3 times today over and above commute in and out). Only overshoe free on way home, flaming massive puddle and a bus, got wet feet. :x
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - had my RW80s on today - they're a PITA to put on too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • joelsim
    You see it's tropical where I am, it was 5C this morning.
  • I had my Lake LX140s on today with merino socks under and my feet were quite happy.

But foolishly decided that I didn't need the uber-bulky winter gloves and went for the liners with mitts over... fingers were painful at one point. Might have to invest in another pair of less bulky slightly warmer gloves.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I had my Lake LX140s on today with merino socks under and my feet were quite happy.

But foolishly decided that I didn't need the uber-bulky winter gloves and went for the liners with mitts over... fingers were painful at one point. Might have to invest in another pair of less bulky slightly warmer gloves.

Evans @ the cut have a sale on gloves, lots of types including Castelli

PS. not on commission ...yet!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • joelsim
    I had DeFeet Dura gloves on today, and they were good.

Reckon they will do 5C plus but not much lower.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    My RW80's should arrive today, no more frozen toes hopefully! :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I don't have winter shoes!

I do have icy toes though :roll:

Was in full length roubaix bib tights, Gore phantom, LS merino wool baselayer and windprrof liners over mitts. Everything was ok apart from my feet. Yet another thing to buy....wonderful :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I broke out the £5 Lidl winter gloves for the first time today - to be fair they are not bad (don't know how long I expect them to last though)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I've been rocking my Diadora Chilli Extremes for a few days now. I'd forgotten how much I like them, especially when it's *really* wet.

I recommend Gore Power SO gloves for the non-bulky, down to -5 degree option, I really like my new ones.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Finally gave in today and got the long seleved top out today (been wearing arm warmers) still SS base layer and cotton socks though. Feet just started to feel cold when I got in to work but figure I shouldn't need to break the thick socks out for another couple of weeks unless the temp plumets.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    This time of year is so difficult. I was back to
    RO86 shoes
    but with Woolie Boolie socks
    Leg warmers
    UnderArmor L/S baselayer
    under Livestrong jersey
    L/F gloves

Going home, I'll need to shed
    the baselayer
    leg warmers
    and swap the socks for X-socks (or whatever they are) as I can't wear shorts, white shoes and grey woolie socks! :oops: :wink:

Forecast for Monday is back up to 8C/15C
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I still got cold feet even with MW80s

No chance to get cold on my current commute. My DCs kept my feet toasty.

I had some old totes gloves on for the first time this year, hands were killing yesterday. And I had my Baabaa peaked beanie on. Looked proper gangsta.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Koncordski
    Do you find shimano shoes come up big? I've just got a haribo laced delivery in a size 43 which is normally fine but they aren't that snug. Would try a 42 in evans but they don't stock them. Bit off topic but any other good cycling stores near london bridge/ waterloo?

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • Torvid
    Koncordski wrote:
    Do you find shimano shoes come up big? I've just got a haribo laced delivery in a size 43 which is normally fine but they aren't that snug. Would try a 42 in evans but they don't stock them. Bit off topic but any other good cycling stores near london bridge/ waterloo?

I found them a bit large I normally take a 46/47 but found without thick socks the 45 was a nice fit.
  • prawny
    Strange I went for a 44 (normally 43) and couldn't get thick socks in them. My toes went numb in them whatever I did, I think the insoles were the problem.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Torvid
    could be I have some M122's and tryed on some AM50's and found both big but have narrow feet as well.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    any recommendations for some warm bibtights withOUT padding.
    Not too dear, please. Although I'll only use one pair all winter so up to £70 would be okay.
  • bails87
    People normally say that Shimanos come up small.

I've got DHB M1s that are a little on the big side even with normal and sealskin socks on in a 45 and Shimano Msomethingorothers that are a tiny bit too small in a 44. they're wearable, but my big toenail slowly makes a hole in my socks because it's pushed against the end of the shoe :lol:

If I'm spending £120+ on winter boots I'll be trying them properly and getting Evans to price match! :twisted:
    MTB/CX

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    any recommendations for some warm bibtights withOUT padding.
    Not too dear, please. Although I'll only use one pair all winter so up to £70 would be okay.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... =9&ID=2985

Santini stuff really is excellent.

Ally my padded bib tights are from there and I can't fault them. Might get a pair myself, actually.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Ah thanks for that - but as soon as I posted that I remembered I had a 20% off Shutt voucher so went for their Roubaix tights. I'll bookmark that site though. Cheers
  • Koncordski
    bails87 wrote:

If I'm spending £120+ on winter boots I'll be trying them properly and getting Evans to price match! :twisted:

That's usually my plan but evans don't carry RW80's and neither do a couple of bike shops I phoned.

I've just ordered a pair in the next size down and will return whichever feels worse. They certainly look upto the job though.

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • bails87
    Yeah, I see they've got the Spesh Defrosters though, similar, and Specialized seem to have a Shimano-like reputation for making stuff that does the job well without much fuss.
    MTB/CX

• prawny
    Defrosters are meant to be less warm than the others. Made for southern californian winters no doubt.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bails87
    Ah. I wore my M1s and Sealskin socks this morning, nice and toasty :)

I just saved myself £120. Hmmmmm, what to spend this £120 on.........? [/logic]
    MTB/CX