Question of the Day

weemo1rush
weemo1rush Posts: 78
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Picture the scene.

Your out riding on a sunny early morning ride. After an hour or so you decided to make tracks and head for home on the compass.

Here its is.

You start to smell poo. of the dog variety.. you check yourself . shoes arms chest. the your bike , frame forks then tyres. you spot something on one of your tyres

the question is do you sniff it to see what it is.? just to confirm that that is the poo in question that is making the smell or in fact that it is poo!!

Comments

• That's quite a shitty question if you ask me.

I'll get my coat.
  • nice
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I was riding a nice technical route in Brecon last Saturday and could smell shit after half way through the ride and it annoyed me to the point that I got off the bike and checked everywhere shoes the lot but could find nothing so carried on riding still smelling it.

Befor I got to the real techy section I wanted to sort this out so got off the bike again checked all the bike nothing, really frustrated I got back on the bike carried on finished my ride opened the car took the front wheel off to put the bike in the car carefully still checking for the elusive shit still nothing, took my camelback off through it in the car which had dog shit all over it and covered the back seat so I then had to smell shit again until I got home and cleaned the car. :(
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    I would smell it (the tyre) then touch it with my index finger and then taste it, To see what kind of dog it was and if it had been eating chappy or pedigreechum. or if it was dry dog food... :P
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    It's the old sniff it or try to ignore it dilema.

Christend my Anthem X4 on the very first ride out.
    Normal route taken with my mates except we decided to take 1 short cut through the alley affectionally known to us from an early age as "dog sh1t alley"
    Well, 20 years have passed and 20 years of dog owners alledgedly becoming more responsible and picking up what their dog leaves behind seems to have made no difference at all especially in this one convenient short cut.
    Needless to say it was the largest and stickiest pile i could have gone through, (looked like chicken korma) that managed to find every nook and crannie on my lovely new bike. Tried to scrape it off the tyre on the grass.....wouldn't shift.
    Popped into the pub on the way home for a celebratory pint, all we could smell was cack.
    not pleasent, took a good half hour of scrubbing to rid most of it.

towny
  • If you can smell poo and you cant see any on your bike but there is a dodgy substance on your tyre, I would hazzard a guess and say that is was poo. No need to sniff or take an inquisitive taste.
    If your still not sure check your pants, I reckon you wouldnt notice a "follow through" in padded shorts.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Well this stuff on my tyre looked like poo so i sniffed it and it was only peaty bog mud!!!
  • All was good then.

Was there any poo or just the stench of bog mud?
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    A few weeks ago, had a brief local night ride, through some fields on the way back.. Was just putting the bike back in the car and i thought, hmm something squidgy on the down tube (it wasn't muddy out), put the bike under the light - the downtube, back of the seat tube was all plastered in a nice coat of poo.
    Didn't smell too good :shock:

Just have to remember to keep your mouth shut when going fast.
  • Definite sniff.

Mind you, I'm used to it. The missus seems to have some kind of in built shit homing device. She's always walking or riding through the stuff.