What new chain?

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
My commuting bike came with a SRAM PC1050 chain, and since getting the bike I've always replaced like-for-like. However they are well over 20 quid a pop, and we're getting to the time of year when a new chain only seems to last a couple of months.

Aside from weight, is there any downside to using a cheaper (10-speed) chain? For instance, do the cheaper ones shift less smoothly? Anyone want to recommend a specific 10-speed chain?
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I use a Taya chain on my fixie because its nice and shiny.

Not really the answer you were looking for, is it?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Cheap chains are less shiny. That's the main difference. I found myself ooh-ing and ah-ing over whether to go for the cheap, functional, grey chain or the more expensive, shiny, silver one.

I think you can guess which I went for. 8)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I've usually got on well with KMC chains. Did have one problem with one when they supplied an 8 speed chain in a 9 speed box. Otherwise they work well, come with a split link and are moderately shiny.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Cheap chains are less shiny. That's the main difference. I found myself ooh-ing and ah-ing over whether to go for the cheap, functional, grey chain or the more expensive, shiny, silver one.

I think you can guess which I went for. 8)

My Taya chain was el cheapo but so shiny that it gets comments at the Morpeth. Cyclists are a bit like magpies: ooh shiny!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Go fixed.............. :twisted:

Used Izumi on my fixed for 18 months (3 chains - changed every 6 months due to wear), switched to KMC (like my road bikes) - no wear at all in nearly a year...no where near 0.75. Awesome chains.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    KMC DX10 or above and you'll not need another until the so called summer regardless of how shoot this winter might be, plus KMC make chains for Shimano and others.

example http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

http://www.shinybikes.com/kmc-dx-10-10- ... n-oem.html
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    +1 for KMC. The nice bike will shortly need a new chain so I've now got a KMC waiting to go on it.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Another +1 for KMC.

With regards to shiny chains, you have to ask how long they'll stay that way during the winter. I mostly use wet lube (quieter) and even after I've meticulously cleaned the chain it will look dark and mucky after a couple rides. Dry lube keeps it clean for longer but its so noisy...
  • notsoblue wrote:
    With regards to shiny chains, you have to ask how long they'll stay that way during the winter.

Meh, sounds like you think with your head.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Thanks guys, that was surprisingly conclusive :-)

I'll never be as stylish as EKE, so shininess not a factor...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Another +1 for KMC chains, although I have an expensive SRAM 1/8" on the SS which is silky smooth, showing no sign of wear and very quiet.