Steel forks: ride quality?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Having had to drag my single speed out for an emergency commute when I discovered my geared bike had a flat last week, I was reminded of how much fun it is to ride, but also how painfully short the frame is. I'd planned to sell it on, as I really don't use it, but even though it is a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing of a bike (given the kit that's on it) it's not pretty and I doubt I would get what it's worth. And so it stays! I will get a new frame for it when money allows and had assumed that I would stick with the steel frame/carbon fork combo I like. The frames that I am drawn to, however, are the Surly Steamroller and whatever Tokyo Fixed's standard one is called, both of which come with a matching steel fork. Before I look into trying to find a frame without forks, I was wondering what the pros and cons are to sticking with steel. I'll almost certainly go back to riding fixed and the bike will mainly be for fun so weight isn't a huge issue (maybe it isn't anyway?).

Anyway, thoughts on steel vs carbon forks appreciated.

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I've got steel forks on the Pompino and they are pretty comfy. Obviously much heavier than carbon but they are robust and have canti bosses. Also run Kona P2s on an Alu MTB that I swapped in place of suspension forks. Really like the ride quality and direct feel of the steering.
  • steel=real. Also, if they fail mid-commute you can stop at the nearest smithy to forge a repair.
    <a>road</a>
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    steel=real. Also, if they fail mid-commute you can stop at the nearest smithy to forge a repair.
    .....Once you've picked your teeth out of the road.....and travelled back to the 16th century :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Depends on the steel. A properly made quality steel frame can be lightweight and it will have a nice amount of flex in the forks, just enough to smooth out the bumps in the road.

Cheap nasty steel bikes you get from Halfords will be made from thick, rigid weighty steel that means a horrible ride.

Many people don't know the difference between the two. I have a cheap GT Peace steel singlespeed that has very rigid forks, my Singular Swift on the other hand is a really nice ride due to it being well designed (and ridden by its designer competitively, so it's not just a product).

Steel's downside is rust, stainless is rather hard to weld due to to the chromium content and it can be more brittle.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Somebody once told me that over time (read 30-40 years), steel can lose its "springyness" meaning that some classic frames are not as comfy a ride now as when they were built. Fact or fiction?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I now have 2 "proper" bikes. I won't count the Alu mtb/trail bike.
    The Fratello has steel frame and carbon forks and is supposed to be relaxed.
    The Master has steel frame and forks and is supposed to be on the relaxed side of sporty.

The Master is more comfortable :shock:

That came both as a shock to my common beliefs and a relief that my money hadn't been wasted :P

Only geometry and quality will tell................
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've heard good things about carbon forks.

Couldn't resist!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!