You Do Someone a Favour...

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    That is a really nice story. Most people think the Austrians are very rude people, and just in general not good, but that is the farthest from the truth, and this story is an exact testament to it!
    Famous nice Austrian
    hitler_with_child1.jpg

That's a one off thing. Everyone is really nice here. He just gave everyone a bad rep which has held for decades because of what happened. A shame really.
    OK another nice Austrian
    arnold+schwarzenegger+pic18.jpg
    Heil
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    I have always stopped and helped fellow mtbers. from tubes to powerlinks. even gear cables (dont ask my brother carries way to much spare kit)
    i never asked or taken payment of any kind :wink: just beleive in kama.

Then in march this year (being somewhat tired from the night shift and even more stupid and retarded) i decided to hit the newly built up tables at lee quarry ignoring the 15-20mph winds (side winds) .
    I hit the jump only to end up having the bike blown from under me i tried to fight it and pull the bike back under me, which i kinda of did but totally overjumped the jump and landed flat bottom front wheel first with the bike still on a diagonal angle..
    i went down hard breaking my clavicle and dislocating my shoulder. i also broke my thumb. My helmet was in 3 pieces.. 3 total strangers came to offer me aid to get me out of the quarry...
    Then another stranger a woman gave me a ibuprofine (sp) tablet to ease my pain for the journey home (a 30 min drive) now that was well worth all those tubes that power link and that gear cable i had givern away over the years..
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    here to all of you,

If i stop and give a new tube instead of just patches i don't care enough that you have to pay me back or replace it just take it as trail kama and pass it on please.
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    That is a really nice story. Most people think the Austrians are very rude people, and just in general not good, but that is the farthest from the truth, and this story is an exact testament to it!
    Famous nice Austrian
    hitler_with_child1.jpg

That's a one off thing. Everyone is really nice here. He just gave everyone a bad rep which has held for decades because of what happened. A shame really.
    OK another nice Austrian
    Heil

My wife's Austrian. She's lovely. She even comes from the same home town as the guy in the first picture!! But her mother... She can be very rude. Or perhaps just a bit too honest...

Generally have found the Austrian's to be very friendly.

And the amount of space they give you when overtaking in their cars. I nearly fell off my bike at the shock of seeing a two meter gap as it passed by!!!
  • esd
    esd Posts: 36
    I gave a tube to a young lady once who had a flat on her road bike and was walking...even changed it for her...I just took her old tube which i repaired..I alwsy carry at least 2 spre tubes...
  • yocto wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Famous nice Austrian
    hitler_with_child1.jpg

OK another nice Austrian
    Heil

My wife's Austrian. She's lovely. She even comes from the same home town as the guy in the first picture!! But her mother... She can be very rude. Or perhaps just a bit too honest...

Generally have found the Austrian's to be very friendly.

And the amount of space they give you when overtaking in their cars. I nearly fell off my bike at the shock of seeing a two meter gap as it passed by!!!

The town he was born in is actually quite nice. Alot of the older generation who were adult age when Hitler was around are still a bit twisted, but everyone younger just cowers in shame at the mention of him. Austrians are lovely people, and yeah, the distance they give you here is awesome. When my father in law had a crash, he ended up laying in the middle of the street. About 6 cars stopped and blocked off the road until ambulance got there, was extremely nice of them.

Austrians are lovely, not to mention schnitzl and schweinsbraten are so tasty!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They do some nice grub, have very scenery, and great beer. As a place to ski it's great fun in the evening. The French are miserable, but the Austrians know how to party :D
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I lived in Austria last winter. And would, at the drop of a hat, go straight back. got loads of mates there now and they certainly know how to party.,

Skiing is great, mountain biking is great, the people are like friendly Germans. Transport is brilliant, cities will thought out....seem to be far fewer chav kids than England...
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    schnitzl

Wasn't he Belgian?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • I gave a guy mr spare presta tube and he insisted on giving me his shreda tube, which was useless to me, I'm fine just exchaging tubes and patching up the nackered one when I get home, I dont care aslong as I have a spare to get my out of trouble.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    What I do not understand is half a dozen people standing around watching someone pump up a tyre, do they not realise they could all get going a lot quicker if they chipped in with the pumping and let the dude with the puncture pack up his gear/tools?
  • Mojo_666 wrote:
    What I do not understand is half a dozen people standing around watching someone pump up a tyre, do they not realise they could all get going a lot quicker if they chipped in with the pumping and let the dude with the puncture pack up his gear/tools?

How are 6 people meant to pump up one tyre?
  • Mojo_666
    It's called............wait for it........"taking it in turns" and it does not actually require 6 people.

But when your arm gets tired using a micro pump and you have to rest or your pace slows down, someone could easily step in help you out while you pack your patches/levers etc away, then you could have another go. There are many ways to assist someone, watching them isn't one of them.
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    deadkenny wrote:
    but the Austrians know how to party :D

reminds me of new year's eve party ( or sylvester party as they call it) I went to while out there for the xmas period. Was crazy fun. One thing of note, at midnight they started to serve up goulash and chilli, which I was told was traditional!!! Was fantastic to get some nosh down and then back on the drinking. Needless to say, I was very ill the next day. Though I think it was all the jager bombs and not the food!
  • Mojo_666 wrote:
    It's called............wait for it........"taking it in turns" and it does not actually require 6 people.

But when your arm gets tired using a micro pump and you have to rest or your pace slows down, someone could easily step in help you out while you pack your patches/levers etc away, then you could have another go. There are many ways to assist someone, watching them isn't one of them.

It takes 1 minute to pump a tyre to 30psi, even with a mini-pump. If you need to take turns to pump it up, I suggest a bit of right arm action to train the muscles.
  • My chain snapped at the top of a climb at Ironman Austria, 2006. There was a drinks station there, so lots of marshals, vehicles, TV crews etc. I ran round shouting "mechanic, bitte!" A marshal said "follow me" and sped off on his MTB. I coasted down the hill with him, chainless, to a bike shop in the village at the bottom of the hill. The shop was shut but the owner was sat outside watching the race. The marshal explained to him in German and he opened the shop, went in and got a chain, and fitted it in 2 minutes flat. I had no money. I was in the middle of a race.

Bike Shop Guy wanted paying for the chain. I had no money. I was in the middle of a race! Get this. The marshal paid for the chain! I insisted he gave me his details, so he gave me his business card.

I shoved the card down the front of my tri suit and in the heat of the race forgot all about it until the next day, when I realised I'd lost it. :cry:

Several weeks later I found the business card at the bottom of my kit bag :D and emailed him a profuse apology for the delay. He completely understood. He sent me his address so I sent him his money back and a gift of the nicest hardback photographic book of Britain I could find.

I had spend a year training for that race. Had it not been for the kindness of that man, it would have all been for nothing. Some people (most people?) will go way out of their way to help out in a jam.

I reckon those who think the Austrians are rude have never been there. Maybe people are different in the big cities (never been to Vienna) but in Klagenfurt everyone I met was very friendly. I didn't meet any genocidal dictators, egotistical film-star bodybuilders, or men who lock their daughters in cellars. (That I know of :wink: ) The most offensive thing about Austria was some bad moustache/perm/mullet combinations. Everything else was brilliant.

I would love to return to Austria, maybe when the kids are older and the pound is stronger. Fantastic place.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I found a rider on his own with a punture, no tube, no patch kit, no tyre levers, etc, etc.

Offered him a tube of mine which he refused saying the quality was not upto his standard. Tube would have fitted no worries so no idea what he was on?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He was a d1ck?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 wrote:

It takes 1 minute to pump a tyre to 30psi, even with a mini-pump. If you need to take turns to pump it up, I suggest a bit of right arm action to train the muscles.

Yes it does indeed, it takes less if you have a "real pump" ;) but not everyone is the same and seeing groups of people watching their mates struggle makes no sense to me, I always offer help and my riding buddies are incredibly forthcoming as well, maybe this sets a level of expectation, the point being is me and my riding mates carry everything, have everything and work as a team, so why others do not is strange to me...maybe I am just lucky in regards to who I get to ride with though.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

Yes it does indeed, it takes less if you have a "real pump" ;) but not everyone is the same and seeing groups of people watching their mates struggle makes no sense to me, I always offer help and my riding buddies are incredibly forthcoming as well, maybe this sets a level of expectation, the point being is me and my riding mates carry everything, have everything and work as a team, so why others do not is strange to me...maybe I am just lucky in regards to who I get to ride with though.

this is most definately true with mojo, he was there when i snapped the valve off my tube. as i was sorting another tube he was straight in there taking the tyre off, pulling out the tube etc for me, great guy 8)
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    My chain snapped at the top of a climb at Ironman Austria, 2006. There was a drinks station there, so lots of marshals, vehicles, TV crews etc. I ran round shouting "mechanic, bitte!" A marshal said "follow me" and sped off on his MTB. I coasted down the hill with him, chainless, to a bike shop in the village at the bottom of the hill. The shop was shut but the owner was sat outside watching the race. The marshal explained to him in German and he opened the shop, went in and got a chain, and fitted it in 2 minutes flat. I had no money. I was in the middle of a race.

Bike Shop Guy wanted paying for the chain. I had no money. I was in the middle of a race! Get this. The marshal paid for the chain! I insisted he gave me his details, so he gave me his business card.

I shoved the card down the front of my tri suit and in the heat of the race forgot all about it until the next day, when I realised I'd lost it. :cry:

Several weeks later I found the business card at the bottom of my kit bag :D and emailed him a profuse apology for the delay. He completely understood. He sent me his address so I sent him his money back and a gift of the nicest hardback photographic book of Britain I could find.

I had spend a year training for that race. Had it not been for the kindness of that man, it would have all been for nothing. Some people (most people?) will go way out of their way to help out in a jam.

I reckon those who think the Austrians are rude have never been there. Maybe people are different in the big cities (never been to Vienna) but in Klagenfurt everyone I met was very friendly. I didn't meet any genocidal dictators, egotistical film-star bodybuilders, or men who lock their daughters in cellars. (That I know of :wink: ) The most offensive thing about Austria was some bad moustache/perm/mullet combinations. Everything else was brilliant.

I would love to return to Austria, maybe when the kids are older and the pound is stronger. Fantastic place.

I've been to Austria (St. Anton) skiing a few times. It's lightyears ahead of France for friendliness and customer service. Great place, great people.
  • Meatfox
    Meatfox Posts: 155
    i gave a screaming druggie tramp man money for LSD once. only cos he was so honest about his intentions,,,,i hope he had a good time.
  • Meatfox - that cracked me up :lol:

HebdenBiker, that was a nice thing to do by both you and the marshall.

Last year, just before Christmas I was on my way home, and I think I was on the M40. The weather was absolutely freezing and horrible conditions. I love classic minis, and I shot by a classic one on the hard shoulder, too far to safely get out and wander back up, but I couldn't see anyone there. So i got off at the next junction, drove back up and went down again, at a better speed and stopped. The girl was still there, the car just wouldn't start again, and she had called the AA/RAC. So I stayed there and let her sit in the warm car for 20 minutes before he arrived - she had been sat there for ages, in the freezing cold and had slipped down the bank so her coat was dirty and wet as well.

She was so grateful (haha not like that - get your mind out of the gutters) it made it worth the stop. It turns out she lived just round the corner from where I used to live.

Its good to see that there are still some decent people left in the world. As for Germans and Austrians, I have found that if you are friendly to them, they recipricate but if you dont make an effort they aren't always helpful. The Austrians might be considerate drivers, but the Germans aren't!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Quick update.

Had a call, but I was away on business.

In the end I got back to him and said, don't worry, do the same for someone else and gave him the details of an ebay shop that does cheap tubes.

Everyone's happy
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    So he wasn't really a friend at all, at best an occasional riding acquaintance?
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i fixed some fellas Harley today after he'd slightly messed up his gear selector in a small off. Was a bit of a pain in the arse as they use Imperial allen keys not metric so had to take him to Maplins first for a set of them,
  • Rich Hcp wrote:
    Quick update.

Had a call, but I was away on business.

In the end I got back to him and said, don't worry, do the same for someone else and gave him the details of an ebay shop that does cheap tubes.

Everyone's happy

turns out nice in the end.

and njee, if you read mate, it wasnt one of the op's friends just a random whilst he was out with friends. ;-)

i wonder if he is on here and the thread shamed him into calling lol.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Aaah, that makes more sense! Fair enough!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    :D:lol::)

I was wondering whether he read this, daren't ask, though :wink:
    Richard

Giving it Large