What are you doing with your money

2»

Comments

• Haven't worked since April, mostly through choice and a sudden realisation that I didn't want to stay in the rather lucrative industry I had been in for 7 years.

Have started an MSc, really ought to make some effort to find part-time work, but have plenty stashed away thanks to previous lucrative job. Soooo.... none of the above really! I'm actually surprisingly good at thrift when the mood takes me.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    trying to pay off debts, although in a few weeks time my income will be officially zero with bills still left to pay.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Had been saving a deposit to buy our next house(switched to rental) however I am now spending a fair bit of what I have saved in the last year on private healthcare to fix her knee so she can get active asap as oppised to waiting until next millenium on the nhs.
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    OP, what about another choice?: "All of the above"
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Haven't worked since April, mostly through choice and a sudden realisation that I didn't want to stay in the rather lucrative industry I had been in for 7 years.

Have started an MSc, really ought to make some effort to find part-time work, but have plenty stashed away thanks to previous lucrative job. Soooo.... none of the above really! I'm actually surprisingly good at thrift when the mood takes me.

So that's why you've not been posting, you're spending the days having lunch :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Have started an MSc

in?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Did DDD really use the words 'cash rich is the aim' and 'pending baby' in the same post?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Have started an MSc

in?

Psychological and Psychiatric Anthropology.

I know, right?
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    At the age of 35 I've finally worked out how to manage my finances (sort of) and am earning reasonable money so have just about paid off debts I amassed through my twenties and am now for the first time saving.

The target is to have my own property by 40.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've given up on completely clearing my debts, if I do I feel rich and rack them up again. I know this is daft.

So now I keep my self about £1000 in debt to act as a warning to myself. Like I said, I know people will think I'm daft, but it works for me.

I had a bit of luck with some shares I brought three years ago for less than £5 and are now worth £17, so I'm treating that as my savings. Although, I'm still saving a £100 a month just to have a little safety net

So I'm now going to do a shed-load of over overtime to make sure I can pay for a decent Christmas without dipping in to my savings or going more in debt.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998
    SimonAH wrote:
    Currently farked.

Two houses. The one I'm trying to sell has no tenant ergo I'm paying two mortgages with no income to offset one of them. Plus two loads of council tax, insurance etc etc et'kingc.

Struggling through to month end seems to be my lot at the moment.

The only good thing is that my debts (non property related) are very small.

To say that Christmas and a massively dense birthday period over the next couple of months is not a prospect that I gaze upon with great longing. :(

Still, mustn't grumble :)
    Indeed. You have two houses. It could be worse.

Besides, why not take an interest only mortgage out on one to pay the mortgage for the other and then take out a series of 0% credit card limited time offers to pay off the interest only mortgage. Or am I missing something?
  • First.Aspect
    Greg66 wrote:
    Have started an MSc

in?

Psychological and Psychiatric Anthropology.

I know, right?
    Money and time to burn?
    Or do you plan on becoming an anthropologist and appearing on BBC programmes with that Scottish bloke with the long hair and freaky eyes?
  • First.Aspect
    RichardSwt wrote:
    So now I keep my self about £1000 in debt to act as a warning to myself. Like I said, I know people will think I'm daft, but it works for me.
    Do you set all of the clocks in your house 10 minutes fast?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    LiT's hair may be long, but her eyes are not freaky.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Do you set all of the clocks in your house 10 minutes fast?

Ummm, yes. :oops:
  • First.Aspect
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Grammar Nazi.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Grammar Nazi.

I am, and proud of it too, but I wasn't getting all Final Solution on your post, just extracting the urine.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Women, beer, drugs & some cycling thrown in.

Paid off mine & the Mrs credit cards last month, so just the mortgage to tackle now. Boring oldman stuff :(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    Alcohol is the number one date rape drug. When that doesn't work, ITB moves on to the pharmaceuticals (usually for the northern burds, who have a higher tolerance to booze). Cycling is just his name for 'riding'.

• CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    No income, no debts. I've been living off savings since August, and I would have been content to carry on that way if I hadn't seen that glittery Charge Mixer. Now I need a job so that I can have a commute to justify buying the commuting bike I want.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mostly saving - made easier by previously using all surplus cash to pay the mortgage off. I have a pretty secure job, decent pension etc but stuff happens so I save a lot. That's not to say I don't treat myself!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Today my State Pension went into the Bank Account for the first time :D Work finished me about three and a half years ago but we had plenty of savings to provide an income from interest, pension pots to call in and a large house with no mortgage which we could sell and downsize.

Well, so much for plans! Interest rates are a third of what they were. The crash of 08 kicked a hole in the pension pots. There is no market to sell the house. Plus inflation is 5%!

There are many worse off than us. But the State Pension is going the 'right the ship' and allow us to ride out these financial storms, with any luck at all :)
    The older I get the faster I was
  • First.Aspect
    itboffin wrote:
    And all the rest you waste.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    I seem to be doing less, but spending more.

drink less often, but mmmmmm martinis made with decent gin and vodka.
    coffee, but monouth. etc.

clearing my debts, and then spend on house renovations........ B*gger I never seem to get round to saving....
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2